SOLVED

Re: POST Form Data using REST API

Go to solution
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

1. A lead record is not associated with a *single* form in Marketo: form activities are many-to-one with leads. You can pass a LastFormName type of field with your API call. Or you can use the Push endpoint instead of Sync to add the person to a Program.

2. You can dedupe on email or not -- this is entirely under your control. I definitely would *not" do a lead lookup ahead of time. That's just spending more API calls.

The Munchin cookie is always available via JS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sanford Whiteman​ for the detailed explanation.

We tried the push endpoint and can now associate a lead (new or existing) to a Program Name. My last question is that - Since everything in Marketo is a lead( no duplicates , assuming it uses a unique email id field) , we need to associate a new Lead with same email address with a Program.

This is more of a business decision , since we have a lot of front end forms over 5 different websites. In Marketo , we would like to see a unique Lead on each Program (assuming each website will hae its own Program and forms).

For all the 5 websites , we can have the same visitors, submitting the same email Id , but would like the Leads to be created based on Program Name , and not get updated , when the user submits the form twice( from a different website).

Please share some best practices on this approach.

Ben_Griffith1
Level 3

It is the same /save2 endpoint I'm talking about and the limit is 1 post/2s per source IP.

Where are you getting this 1 post / 2 seconds per source IP limit?

I just tested sending 100 submissions in 40 milliseconds from the same IP and they all went through fine.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

40 milliseconds? Are you timing the TTFB? I can't get a single request/response done in under 300ms.

Anyway... this is straight from Marketo engineering. Doubt the bucket algorithm is checked in less than a second, like any rate limiter. You may be bursting over the limit but the sustained rate is different. Or maybe it's changed, but that's the last anyone has mentioned it.

Ben_Griffith1
Level 3

40 milliseconds was just the time to get them all sent.  Responses back for all 100 requests took a bit less than 10 seconds.

Interesting, I'll log a case with Marketo to see what they say.