Re: Possible Bug: Adding a "call webhook" step to a running smart campaign causes user to restart flow

Broderick_Klem1
Level 4

Possible Bug: Adding a "call webhook" step to a running smart campaign causes user to restart flow

We have a running triggered smart campaign that consists of multiple "send email" steps separated by wait steps. We added a "call webhook" step before the first wait step (the smart campaign was still active) - intending for all new users entering the campaign to begin having the webhook fired. However, as soon as we added the webhook, it caused all existing users in the flow (anyone currently in a wait step) to immediately have the webhook fired and then proceed to the next step in the flow again.

For example:
1. A user was on step 11 of the flow

2. We added a "call webhook" step as step 3
3. The user in step 11 (wait step) immediately had the webhook called
4. The user progressed to step 4 (an email they had already received - it "sent" but did not deliver), and then went to step 5 (another wait step).

Are "Call webhook" steps supposed to operate this way (violate the order of an active smart campaign flow) or is this a bug?

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Possible Bug: Adding a "call webhook" step to a running smart campaign causes user to restart flow

This is certainly not expected of any flow step, and Call Webhook should not be treated any differently. 

While altering the number of flow steps does (by design) affect people in Wait steps, only adding a new step 3 here should not cause people to jump backwards.

Broderick_Klem1
Level 4

So from what I'm reading, apparently Marketo only records the flow step number of a wait step and not their actual position in a flow, is that correct? In the instance I posted about above, it looks like this affected people who were in flow step 2 (wait for 2 days), and then we added 2 change data value steps and a call webhook step to the beginning of the flow. When they ended their wait period, they progressed to step 3 instead of step 6 like we thought they would since the wait step they were in was now step 5.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

That makes sense then (since it's not actually a leap between 3 and 11).

If you search my replies within the past ~3 months, I explained how it works when you shift step numbers.