SOLVED

Re: Populating Asset Consumed Using A Global Form

Go to solution
Keith_Nyberg2
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Populating Asset Consumed Using A Global Form

Hey Marketing Nation,

We recently migrated all of our landing pages from drupal into MKTO. When we were using the drupal landing pages, we hardcoded the landing page redirect and name of the asset consumed in the form embed (see below).

<form id="mktoForm_0" class="mktoFormEmbed" data-mktoFormID="0" data-mktoAsset="Analyst Report: Ovum IBM" data-mktoRedirect="/ovum-ibm-download"></form>

My question: Now that we are using MKTO guided landing pages, we can set the landing page re-direct rule when adding the form, but I cannot figure out a way to populate our asset consumed field based on the landing page the form was filled on.

I have a smart campaign that looks for people who visited our Thank You pages and populates the asset consumed, but the MKTO numbers don't align with GA so I am concerned that some records are falling through the cracks.

Any ideas on how I can populate our asset field from the landing page when using a global form?

Sincerely,

Keith Nyberg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Keith_Nyberg2

Hey Everyone,

Just came across this from the past and wanted to update it as i've learned alot since originally asking this question. We didn't have Munchkin enabled on our Drupal pages as the time this was created and this was our problem. As a result, we were not able to use the standard "Fills Out Form" trigger with a "webpage" constraint. So while all the solutions provided are technical was to work around this issue, the simplest and best answer is to ensure that Munchkin is present on all of your pages and use the OOB fills out form trigger with the webpage constraint.
Cheers!

Keith Nyberg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

What exactly does "Asset Consumed" represent to you?  Somewhat difficult to offer a solution without knowing what sort of data you're trying to populate.

Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Agree with Kenny, would need clarity on the context of "Consumed"  If it means downloaded, do you want to see the numbers for folks who visited the TY page and downloaded the asset? How's the download setup? Is the form also being used on other landing pages, which may take the user to another TY pages?

Keith_Nyberg2

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response. We have roughly 15 assets that a prospect could consume behind our global form. A brief list is provided below.

Gartner Magic Quadrant for SFA

Analyst Report: Ovum IBM

eBook: Six Tips for Putting Your CRM into Overdrive

Analyst Report: Forrester

So take Gartner for example, we have a unique landing page for this asset that uses the global form, upon form submit, the prospect is taken to the Gartner thank you page where they can download the asset. I am trying to populate our Asset consumed with "Gartner Magic Quadrant for SFA" based on them reaching the thank you page. I can build a smart campaign that says, visited Gartner Thank you page, populate asset field, but this gets tricky when most of our assets are produced in 5 languages and our GA traffic shows more unique visitors than the smart campaign in MKTO.

I basically want to figure out a way to populate this value upon form submit from the landing page, but as the form is used on several pages for several assets, have not found an effective method.

Sincerely,

Keith Nyberg

John_Clark1
Level 10

How are leads getting to the form?  Could you use a hidden field to capture a url parameter? Each url leading to the form could contain the name of the asset, and the hidden field on the form, "Asset Consumed" in this case, would pick that up.  That would then be submitted with the other information on the form.

The articles below describe how to do this.

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Set+a+Form+Field+as+Hidden

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Set+a+Hidden+Form+Field+Value#SetaHiddenFormFieldValue-...

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Using+the+URL+Builder

Let me know if you have any other questions on this method.

John

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Sounds like you want to anticipate the, shall we say, "asset to be consumed" and add it as a field within the form itself without supplying it in the URL, rather reading it out of the LP-specific form descriptor.  You could accomplish this via this crazy but functional method.

Another method, perhaps saner in the long run, would be calling form.addHiddenFields({ LastDownloadedAsset : ThankYouURL }) from onSuccess, then calling submit() again. But make sure you don't create an infinite loop of onSuccess, though: set form.onSuccess(function(){}) before the second submit().

Keith_Nyberg2

Hey Everyone,

Just came across this from the past and wanted to update it as i've learned alot since originally asking this question. We didn't have Munchkin enabled on our Drupal pages as the time this was created and this was our problem. As a result, we were not able to use the standard "Fills Out Form" trigger with a "webpage" constraint. So while all the solutions provided are technical was to work around this issue, the simplest and best answer is to ensure that Munchkin is present on all of your pages and use the OOB fills out form trigger with the webpage constraint.
Cheers!

Keith Nyberg