Re: Playing Video Clips in Email Body

Anonymous
Not applicable

Playing Video Clips in Email Body

I have been toying with trying some 5 second video clips auto playing inside the body of emails and didn't know if that is something Marketo has a template for or can give some tips on how to achieve it successfully.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Tom.
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can have your deliverability dinged by certain Email Clients & ISPs for using video.

Here's Campaign Monitor's evaluation. https://www.campaignmonitor.com/resources/will-it-work/video/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adam is right - not all email clients know how to handle video. I'm sure they'll get there, but then it's just another thing that will be considered a spam trigger.  The work around is to create an attractive thumbnail image and link that to your hosted video.  Another option is to convert the video into an animated gif - but again, certain email clients will block the animation.
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Its possible to embed video in email with HTML 5, the problem is that 20-30% of email clients may have issues rendering the video (and proper fall back image) appropriately. 

As Mike S. suggested, I think it's much better to just add the thumbnail of the video with a big play button, and then embed the video on a landing page.

This really doesnt change the user experience much, but it gives the benefit of better tracking the clicks/views and assures that the majority of your audience won't have issues with playback.

Here is a good article on the subject: http://wistia.com/blog/embedding-video-in-email
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys...thanks for all the feedback...and I understand the deliverablilty and tracking issues associated with video...however...I am personally seeing more of it - Netflix, Redbox...etc...are using it consistantly and those emails are compelling...so... for fun I wanted to do some A/B testing with a small audience to see what kind of response we get with it.

I am more concerned with how to go about it. Does anyone have some step by step guides using Marketo on the best way to go about it...again....knowing that there are risks associated with this....i thought I would do some experimenting.

Thanks for all the help.

Tom