Phased Email distribution

Anonymous
Not applicable

Phased Email distribution

I have a large mailing list to blast an email to.  How do I set up a phased distrubution to optimize deliverability?
Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Phased Email distribution

Hi Planar,

So, I'm obligated to say this up front...

Marketers should avoid "blasting" a message to their email lists in most cases. Doing tighter segmentations and optimizing content for what the audience wants is always a better route than just sending out a message to the largest group possible. Besides, when's the last time YOU were anxiously waiting to hear about someone's newest whitepaper?

Okay, we got past the disclaimer. Now, let's get down to how you might actually approach executing a single message to a large list (say, a customer newsletter).

The way approach I've taken in the past is to use choice steps in the Send Email flow step and a wait step. You use the choice to pick a small part of your list, and the wait step to prevent thousands of emails from hitting the same servers at once (e.g. gmail, yahoo, etc).

My typical pick is use an "email starts with" choice in the Send Email flow step. So, the flow looks like
  1. If Email Address Starts with "a" send Email; default do nothing
  2. Wait 15 minutes...
  3. If Email Address Starts with "b" send Email; default do nothing.
  4. Wait 15 minutes.
  5. etc
  6. etc
  7. (Last step) If Email Address Not Starts With "a; b; c..." send Email; default do nothing.
0EM50000000QSUl.jpg