Personalizing Landing Pages with Tokens

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personalizing Landing Pages with Tokens

We are building out a campaign in which we want the landing page to pull in a prospects first name and company name. The problem I'm running into is that the people we are sending the email to, haven't engaged with our company (ie, they haven't filled out a form, or given us information).

The steps for them to land on the page is clicking through an email sent from Marketo that also pulls in the name token. Will the same parameters pull in for the landing page, or how can I ensure that they will pull in?

10 REPLIES 10
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Personalizing Landing Pages with Tokens

Can you move the thread to Products ? This isn't a support space (it's for discussing the incentive program). There's a Move link at the right.

Jim_Thao7
Level 9

So long as they are clicking on the tokened link and then are cookied, yes.  There could be latency issues the first time a lead visits, but other than that, you should be fine.

On the flip side though, it's never a good idea to personalize assets for persons who have never engaged with your business, totally my own personal opinion.

SanfordWhiteman

There won't be any latency: a tracked link contains the equivalent of an associated cookie. Cookies don't need to be enabled for this to work, in fact, since the link is fetched before a cookie exists (cookies are created by JS, after the page loads).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just so I am understanding. Because we are sending it from Marketo (which linked are cookied), that the personalization shows up? I tested on my chrome (my personal information shows up), but when I switch to my IE, or Firefox, it is not personalized.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Kari - how are you testing this?  Are you changing your default browser so that the appropriate browser opens when you click the link in the email?  That's really the only way to test this.  Using the LP URL on various browsers will not work (unless you're already cookied as a known user on those browsers) - you have to click on the tracking link in the email.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dan - I was testing it using the LP url, and then copying the tracked URL from the email into different browsers. But looking at this in hindsight, I probably need to make this a true email send, and sync from salesforce and do a send rather than a sample.

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, you need to use a true send and open a tracked (= _mkt_tok-​enized) link in an Incognito/Private Browsing window. This is how you simulate the end user experience.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford, quick question. We are now in final testing, and when we send a sample email that shows our tokenized information, and click the link within the email, it will show the same information for myself but will not show the tokenized information for my co-worker who does have her information captured. Is it the sample email or could it be something else? TIA.

SanfordWhiteman

we are sending it from Marketo (which linked are cookied)

Links aren't "cookied," though. Links are _mkt_tok-enized, which serves the same purpose as a pre-associated session cookie but isn't the same thing and shouldn't be confused.