Re: Personalized Content on Landing Pages - Do I need to create 40 landing pages?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Personalized Content on Landing Pages - Do I need to create 40 landing pages?

Hi Sanford -

I appreciate your patience and help with this.

We do have code on the page that erases the cookie. We are not using a marketo tokenized link - as they are being sent via a direct mail piece. We have added in custom code to populate hidden fields within the form - similar to what you suggested here: https://nation.marketo.com/message/136179#comment-136179 .

Is the best filter for the segments email address?

Would you suggest instead of using PURLs that we send a link with a token? Such as pages.discoverorg.com/pagename.html?email={{lead.email address}}?

Do you have nay idea why the snippets/ segments would work when previewing the page, but not on the live page?

I can also discuss with support, but you have been much more helpful.

Thank you again!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Like I said, we should work up to pURLs, since they are the quirkiest aspect.

Send an email (not sample) with a mkt_tok-enized link and open that in a brand-new Incognito window (make sure no other Incogs are open).

Also, what's the exact code you're using to clear the cookie? You can't just delete _mkto_trk to solve the pURL quirks, you have to entirely refresh the page as well. (Otherwise the cookie has already been sent to Marketo and deleting it has no effect.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

So, you plan to create one single LP with custom content for 40 different leads. Are you planning on adding an URL parameter to the LP URL? Or are you going to rely on the cookie of the visitor. If you are sure on the cookie, here is a solution using JavaScript code, or let me know if can be modified.

First, follow the following how-to: http://developers.marketo.com/blog/add-custom-code-to-a-marketo-landing-page/

Assuming that you have a form in the LP and with the pre-fill functionality active, or let me know, we can use tokens.

Then add the following code:

<script   src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.12.4.min.js"></script>

<script>

jQuery("<div></div>",{class:"dynamic_content"}).appendTo("body");

switch(mktoPreFillFields.Email.trim())

{

case 'lead1@email.com':

var content = 'Custom content for lead1';

break;

case 'lead2@email.com':

var content = 'Custom content for lead2';

break;

}

jQuery(".dynamic_content").html(content);

</script>

Screenshot1

Screenshot2

SanfordWhiteman

Direct mail, Luis. So the opposite of relying on the cookie (pURLs rely on the lead not having an existing -- associated or anonymous -- cookie).

SanfordWhiteman

Also, segments and pURLs will work fine (and dynamic content w/snippets in the LP Editor is way easier than custom dynamic content using JS).  There's just something missing from the test environment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As always, thank you for your help! I agree that is something is missing from the test environment. We are trying to hone in on that on our end. We have a known issue with another one of our segments - that Marketo is working on - and now I am assuming that is also playing a role here.

Quick question for clarification: Should munchkin tracking be enabled or disabled?

SanfordWhiteman

As always, thank you for your help! I agree that is something is missing from the test environment. We are trying to hone in on that on our end. We have a known issue with another one of our segments - that Marketo is working on - and now I am assuming that is also playing a role here.

Maybe so, but you should test with a mkt_tok-enized link first.  It's understood that in production you'll use a pURL (and not a tokenized link), but for testing I want you to go back to basics and treat the LP like a standard LP.

Quick question for clarification: Should munchkin tracking be enabled or disabled?

It should be enabled. The key is that you want a Munchkin cookie after the page renders, but not before.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did go back to basics and created the landing page as just that - and it still didn't populate correctly, even though the segments and snippets are set up correctly and show up in the preview as intended. We were even able to get them all to work using the pURLs, but did not feel confident that they would work every time. So, we decided to create individual pages.

Thank you again for your help!