Re: Partition/workspace question

Kevin_Weisenber
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

Hi karen,

You will find overtime that the standard marketo partition assignment rules can be somewhat limiting.  Grégoire Michel​ mentions this in a number of areas but using smart campaigns instead in your operations/default partiton/workspace will provide you with much greater flexibility than the inbuilt feature. Simply identify the audience in the smart list and use the flow action of move partition to get your audience to where you need it including the overlapping members.

Frank_Carpenter
Level 2

What your team is asking for is doable. However, it's a bad precedent to set. It will open the food gate to other technology team asking for the same thing. I think the best bet is to create a segmenatation to target the technology, especially with the CASL and GDPR requirements that are in place today. IMHO - Resist making a tech work space at all costs.

Frank Carpenter
Sr. Marketing Automation Manager
Five9 Inc.
(M) 631-561-8837
Karen_Black
Level 5

Sorry for not responding to this sooner.  The technology in question is separate from our current offerings.  The reason we want to do this is so that they cannot access our current partitions/workspaces.  Do you think it is still a bad idea?

Frank_Carpenter
Level 2

Hi Karen,

I still think a segmentation is the best Idea so you can comply with email regulations regionally.

Frank Carpenter

Marketing Automation Manager

Five9, Inc.

631 561 8837

Frank Carpenter
Five9 Inc.
(M) 631-561-8837
Karen_Black
Level 5

Sorry to keep bugging you, but you peaked my interest.  Do you think the scenario would work if I keep my partitions as-is, and then assign a new workspace for that group only (marketing activities, design studio, database).  I am not sure if database is based on a partition or workspace. I just want to make sure this group does not have access to any of our current spaces.

Frank_Carpenter
Level 2

Hi Karen,

I think I understand a little better now. If you are using a self-serve model where certain people can only see certain things in Marketo, then your idea is a good one. Create a new workspace for those people. The issue becomes, what if the leads/contacts in that workspace are interested in a different product? You now have them locked into a particular workspace and have to move them if you want to communicate with them. There are pros and cons to both approaches.

Frank Carpenter

Five9, Inc.

631 561 8837

Frank Carpenter
Five9 Inc.
(M) 631-561-8837
Karen_Black
Level 5

Thank you for the clarification.  I talked to support, and there is a way to do duplicatation so that the few that may be in both groups, continue to get both messages.  It does not come without a few headaches though.  Again, thanks for reaching out.  Very helpful!

Frank_Carpenter
Level 2

Very happy to assist ☺

Frank Carpenter

Five9, Inc.

631 561 8837

Frank Carpenter
Five9 Inc.
(M) 631-561-8837
Karen_Black
Level 5

You peaked my interest on avoiding workspaces for technology groups.  What do you mean by this?  Looks like we want to keep our partitions as is (based on geography), but then on workspaces, change from Geo to Technology,  Would love to hear your thoughts on this and why not to do it.