Ah, I see what you're saying. Create a new field in Marketo and have the Original Source Type system field pushed to that field in Marketo.
I shall try that and get back to you. Thanks!
Okay, I created fields in Salesforce and pushed the information for Original Source Type and Original Source Info to those fields using the flow setup above.
Here are the results that confirm the update went through, and also I can see these updates reflected in Marketo, however, the information is still not being pushed to Salesforce.
And here's the screenshot showing these fields in SF, notice how they're still blank.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Could this be because I'm working with a Contact and not a Lead in Salesforce?
Have you created these on the Lead Object too? I think you are trying to sync and Marketo Lead to a Salesforce Lead and since that field is not there no data is syncing, the new fields need created on both the Lead and Contact Object.
I created the two test fields in Salesforce under Contact.
Should I go and also create these two test fields in Salesforce under Lead with the same information?
Also, is there any benefit of creating these custom fields in Marketo instead?
Also I've noticed that the fields I created show up in Marketo under "Field Management" but I do not see them under "Field Mapping"
Since Leads and Contacts are separate in Salesforce, you need to create the 2 fields in each object (4 in total). What I think is happening is that you are updating a Salesforce Lead and since the fields don't exist there, nothing is actually updating (click on the ID field in the activity log and see what it says too, sometimes it dives deeper). It's best practice if you want to use the field in Salesforce then you create it there first, Marketo created fields can not be mapped to Salesforce fields (without getting Marketo themselves involved and at money a cost). Please send screenshot of what you see in Field Management (give it at least 5 mins)
Thanks for your help so far.
Okay, so I ran the same smart campaign against a Lead in my system, and I saw the changes taking place like they should. This problem only seems to be having for Contacts as far as I know.
Here are the two fields in Field Management
The one marked with (L) is for Lead, the other is for contact. However, neither of these show up under "field mapping"
Also, I matched the SFDC ID for the Contact in Salesforce to what's in Marketo, they match up, only difference being the ending, but if I Copy and Paste the ID from Marketo into SF, it takes me to the correct lead.
Just looked at the contact activity log, looks like there's a sync error for Contacts. Even though this doesn't have to do anything with the fields I'm trying to change, I think this may be effecting the syncing overall. Below is the error:
"INVALID_FIELD_FOR_INSERT_UPDATE: Contact: bad field names on insert/update call: mkto_si__Last_Interesting_Moment_Date__c\n"
Malik, I think you're best to contact Marketo Support to investigate this bit, they can dive a bit deeper than what we can see.
Frank Breen thanks again for all your help! Your comments really helped me get on the right path, and I think I finally figured out the issue. It looks like certain fields in Marketo were marked as "Read Only", which was causing a sync error. Fixed it and now the syncing is working like it should.