SOLVED

Operate on Marketo-Only custom objects through API

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Operate on Marketo-Only custom objects through API

Hi.. I've found several discussions on this subject, but it's not clear to me yet if I can operate on Marketo-Only custom objects through the SOAP API (operate as in insert, update and delete data)

What is clear to me is that we can not "create" a custom object, and that custom objects (Marketo-only) are not "listed" through the API. We are trying to create a solution similar to Informatica Cloud, where the user will need to describe his custom object in order to be able to operate against it.

But, as I said, it's not clear what operations Marketo allows on custom objects... anyone can clarify this?

Thanks...

JP
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Operate on Marketo-Only custom objects through API

Marketo Custom Objects are scoped/provisioned by Professional Services and once provisioned can be accessed using SOAP API via the following methods:
  • getCustomObjects (returns list of the Marketo Custom Objects and their field definitions)
  • deleteCustomObjects (for deletes)
  • syncCustomObjects (for insert/updates)

NOTE: Marketo Custom Objects are different than CRM Custom Objects (i.e. SFDC Custom Objects)  that you can set up to sync as part of your native integration.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any hints on this?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Juan,

Are you referring to the components that are tied into SFDC like Account Owner or Lead Owner?

My company is completing our API integration...so hopefully I can help!

-Emily

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo Custom Objects are scoped/provisioned by Professional Services and once provisioned can be accessed using SOAP API via the following methods:
  • getCustomObjects (returns list of the Marketo Custom Objects and their field definitions)

NOTE: Marketo Custom Objects are different than CRM Custom Objects (i.e. SFDC Custom Objects)  that you can set up to sync as part of your native integration.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for taking time to reply Emily

Actually I am referring to Marketo Custom Objects, and not the ones tied to SFDC via sync... I know that in order to have my own Marketo Custom objects I need to request their creation, and pay for them. But all I found in API documentation is that the API does not list those custome objects, but apparently it allows me to "operate" with them.... So that is my doubt, what does "operate" mean? Can I create, update or delete records on those custome objects?

Thanks again!

JP
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're referring to custom fields, you can create your own fields for lead information. But you will need to put in a ticket for fields that go into company or opportunity information.

When you set up these new fields you have to give them a 'friendly' name as well as an API name. You use the API name to connect it to the SOAP API. I know that at my organization, we have no trouble connecting these new fields to our CRM through the insert/upsert/delete functions.

Like I said, I'm not an expert...but I've listened to our software development team enough to feel like I know just a smidge about this 🙂

- Emily
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Angelo... that was exactly the information I needed... I received your reply exactly when I had found that information in the "Marketo Object Model" online doc... So gtreat! That confirms that this that I found is what I was looking for.

And thank you too Emily... I know your "custom fields" comment will come in handy soon in our development process

Thank you again!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

One more question Angelo

I am trying to use the getCustomObjects method (from C#), but I am getting errors related to needed parameters... could you give me some info (or a link to any doc) on what are the needed parameters for this method? 

Also... I know SF custom objects are different than Marketo Custom objects... but will this method also list SF custom objects synched from SF?

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

GetCustomObjects actually returns Custom Object records as per the passed in keyList.  There is no current SOAP API method that returns the list of Custom Objects in an account and respective Metadata.  Sorry about the confusion
  • getCustomObjects (returns records based on keyList passed in)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Angleo.. hope you see this..

I finally found the name of our Custom Object (marketo only). Now I am trying to query through the GetCustomObjects method. 

One thing I still don't understand is: Can I get more than one record with this method? Even thou the customObjKeyList seems to be an array of Attributes, if I set (hardcoding) those with more than one I get error... all I can do is query with one ID

var test = new ParamsGetCustomObjects()
                {
                    includeAttributes = new[] { "" },
                    objTypeName = "CustomTest",
                    customObjKeyList = new[] { new Attribute() {attrName = "testID", attrType = "integer", attrValue = "1"}
                    }
                };

Could you please clarify this? I also tried using other fields from the CustomObject (like ObjectID) but errors out. Only field I can use there is testID, which based on its name, I suppose is a Custom field...

Thanks