Re: open email vs click email

Anonymous
Not applicable

open email vs click email

What is is the difference between opened email and clicked email.

Also, how is it that a person can 'click link' in an email without opening it (do they preview it in autopane?)

Thanks!
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Open means that the marketo clear gif was pulled in because the lead had images ON. Then you definitely know they previewed or possible read the email.

Clicked means they actually took a concrete action to go to your site, meaning they read AND liked your email. I prefer to look at clicks because it means engagement is higher. Unless the user is savvy enough to NOT click on the actual link and instead copy the main URL w/o the tracking code, your click rate will always be very accurate.

The problem with Opens is that it relies on a technology that can be blocked automatically by most email viewers. So if you had 10% opens, it's totally possible that 30% really read it, but either viewed the TEXT version or blocked images. So it's not always helpful.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

So if I am reading this correct as an example, my results for this email campaign shows that one of my contacts has multiple "Click Emails" entries. Is that because the contact is clicking many links on our web site?

Thanks Josh!
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, that still refers to the email. Marketo will record every time the Lead clicks a link within an email, even if it is the same link and regardless of duration between clicks. The pages on your website will be tracked differently if the Lead visits them. If am not mistaken, Marketo only tracks the pages they visit, not if they clicked any links on that page, but maybe Josh can clarify. Josh?
Michelle_Spears
Level 1

Do you guys know why Marketo will show "Click Email" in the campaign results for someone but not then show a result of a "Visit Web Page"?  I can see the link when I click on the activity details for "Click Email" activity, so I don't understand why it's not also displaying as a visit to the web page.  It does for some leads but not others.  Any ideas?  I like to export this view to share specific visits to web pages of leads but am missing the data for those when it only registers as "Click Email".  Is there a better place to pull all web page visits from a campaign with the lead names from Marketo?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Michelle,

Does the link they are clicking on take them to a web page that is cookied, or somewhere else? If it takes them to a partner's web page for example, Marketo will not be able to track that. 

And I would try a Web Page Report and use the smart list to reference a particular Program or Campaign. That will list the Lead. It's not perfect, but may be a good place to start.
Michelle_Spears
Level 1

Thanks Jeff.  The link they click from the email does have the munchkin tracking code on it, so I'm still confused by my results.  The Web Page Report is helpful though.  thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to understand the difference between Open Email, Click Email, and Click Link on the Results tab for Marketing Activities.  I'm assuming that Open Email means they opened the email - whether in preview pane or actually opening it up.  But what is the difference between Click Email and Click Link?  Thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, I use Click Email when referring to a link in the email while using Click Link for a link on a Landing Page. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Jeff - I've been trying to find that answer for a while!  That makes sense.