Re: One form - many landing pages - how do we redirect?

Anonymous
Not applicable

One form - many landing pages - how do we redirect?

Hi - we are trying to use a single form across all of our content landing pages.  (Reason: this form has all of our progressive profiling fields correctly setup.)  This form lives in the design studio.

We know which form was filled out by 'fills form' with a constraint of the page URL.  So we know which content that person should receive as a download.  We can email them the correct content, no problem.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:  In addition to just emailing them the right content, it would be great if we could offer it up for download on a custom thank you page  right after filling out the form.  If we had unique forms we could do this by just setting the form redirection.  However, this is one single form used on multiple pages.  Is there a way to achieve what we want? I thought about putting a token into the 'form redirect' box, and setting the token to the URL we want to redirect to.  Would that work or is there a different way?

Thanks!
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amanda,

From my knowledge, as well as setting the redirect page on a form, you can also set up the redirect page on the landing page itself.  Once you have added the form to the landing page, you can go into the form settings on the landing page and chose the destination.

Simon

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Seconding @Simon -- and also realize you don't need a separate Thank You page for each download, either.  Assuming the page is only going to differ by the target of the "Download your document" link, you can use the same page and just append the document's URL to it:

http://www.example.com/downloadit.html?doc=/pdfs/your.pdf

Use JS on the the Thank You page to alter the download target on the fly.  Much easier to maintain.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sanford,

I'm trying to redirect a form to download a PDF in a browser, instead of viewing it.  Can you explain more on your post above, on what exactly my confirmation page URL should be to kick-off the automatic download of a PDF file?

Thanks,
Todd

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Hi Todd,

The problem you're encountering is that Marketo-hosted assets are not configured to force a file to be saved, but rather to leave the decision up to the browser.  Since they don't send the specific HTTP headers necessary to instruct the browser to bypass its built-in viewer (or a third-party viewer plugin), your leads will see very different results.

So when I use the term "download," I'm referring to either viewing or saving (in both cases, the file is downloaded to the lead's computer, the difference is what happens next).

To force a download, you'll need to load assets from your own server and send the right HTTP headers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do this for my content pages using the same form, different i-frames (landing pages).

I have 2 MY tokens in each program that specify

1. the asset URL

2. the asset name

Then on my thank you page, I use the same thank you copy and insert the my.asset URL token along with the my.asset name

This way, the right stuff gets served up to the right folks. Make sense?

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Hi Amanda, I do exactly what you're asking about.

I have one form that I use, stored in the Design Studio. Then, in each program, i have a landing page. When the lead fills out the form, the page refreshes and a button with a link to the asset is shown. 

I'm happy to walk you through how I did it if you want to PM me and we can set up time for a demo.

Robb Barrett
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Robb,

I am assuming you are using JS that fires on form submission and makes the form div invisible and make the div containing Asset URL visible. Am I correct?

Bhavin

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Sometimes, but not always.  Yes, you need JS and the Form API and then with an onSuccess call you can open up a new page or you can hide the form and show a button. 

Robb Barrett