SOLVED

Nurture transition based on number of emails opened

Go to solution
nosmig
Level 2

Nurture transition based on number of emails opened

Hi all

I need some help with an engagement program!

I have setup an email nurture program consisting of 2 streams. In stream 1 I have 7 emails. I want to transition the lead to stream 2 if the lead has opened any 3 of the 7 emails in stream 1. I'm having a hard time figuring out the transition rules for this. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Nurture transition based on number of emails opened

You can create a batch campaign to transition people to the Stream 2 per below -

Smart Campaign SL filters -

1. Opened Email, add all the 7 emails used in the EP's stream 1 to the filter, and set the Min. Number of Times constraint to 3.

2. Member of Engagement Program  <EP Name> is true, Stream = Stream 1

Filter Logic - ALL filters

Darshil_Shah1_0-1658917565045.png

It's worth noting that Marketo logs a single open email activity for a person-email combo, so this filter wouldn't let people who'd have opened the same email 3 or more times to qualify.

Smart Campaign Flow - 

Change Engagement Program Stream to Stream 2

Darshil_Shah1_1-1658917180967.png

Schedule this batch campaign as a recurring batch campaign, set to run a few hours before EP cast (you may also set to run this more freequently, but ensure that you schedule it in a way so that it runs at least 1x before the EP cast, preferably just a few hours before of the cast).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1

You can create a batch campaign to transition people to the Stream 2 per below -

Smart Campaign SL filters -

1. Opened Email, add all the 7 emails used in the EP's stream 1 to the filter, and set the Min. Number of Times constraint to 3.

2. Member of Engagement Program  <EP Name> is true, Stream = Stream 1

Filter Logic - ALL filters

Darshil_Shah1_0-1658917565045.png

It's worth noting that Marketo logs a single open email activity for a person-email combo, so this filter wouldn't let people who'd have opened the same email 3 or more times to qualify.

Smart Campaign Flow - 

Change Engagement Program Stream to Stream 2

Darshil_Shah1_1-1658917180967.png

Schedule this batch campaign as a recurring batch campaign, set to run a few hours before EP cast (you may also set to run this more freequently, but ensure that you schedule it in a way so that it runs at least 1x before the EP cast, preferably just a few hours before of the cast).

Christiane_Rode
Level 6 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Is there a reason you want to use "opened email" as the transition rule? You may not have the best sense of who is truly engaging with your emails, as the open might be triggered by their email client (in the case of MPP), or the pixel could be blocked on the user side, so they are opening your emails, but Marketo is not registering it as an open. 

This may be already factored into what you're doing and how you've set this up, but you may want to keep a close eye on who is transitioning to see if you're seeing any abnormal activity there. 

Darshil_Shah1

I agree with, @Christiane_Rode! Opens as a metrics are not that reliable and it's recommended that you don't base quite a lot of your Marketo programming and nurtures on it. As Christiane notes, there are chances that the opens you're seeing in Marketo are not from a real human, and on the other hand, the real opens may go un-reported entirely (if the tracking pixel isn't downloaded by the email client).

Instead of opens, I'd consider using scoring/product interest/progression through stages, etc. as the paramters for basing the nurture progression on.