SOLVED

Re: Notification for a duplicate lead?

Go to solution
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Notification for a duplicate lead?

Hello,

I have received a notification in Marketo of an error when an existing lead submits a form and it cannot update their info which is already in SFDC. We do not want to create two leads, so what is the best way to notify Inside Sales to ignore the new lead entry and to contact the new lead from their existing contact/opportunity?

Thanks,

Devraj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

First, Marketo should not create a duplicate lead when a form is submitted with an email address of an existing lead, it should update the existing lead.  Are you using embedded Marketo forms on your website, non-Marketo form using server-side form post or a non-Marketo form using the SOAP / ReST API?  When the duplicate lead is created on the second form submission, is that second form submission at the same time or within a minute or two of the first form submission?

To send an alert to sales whenever a form is submitted create a smart campaign with a Fills Out Form trigger and a 'Not Lead was Created in past 1 minute' filter.  The flow would use the Send Alert flow action to send to the lead owner.

There is already a Duplicate Leads smart list in Marketo where you can see duplicates.  When you say you want to set up a smart campaign to look for duplicate form submissions, what action do you want that smart campaign to take - send an alert email about a duplicate record being created?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Elliott_Lowe1

Devraj, can you provide a bit more detail about the error noticed you received? Normally when an existing lead submits a new form with the same email address, Marketo will update the existing lead record with the new info and add them as a member of a  program / SFDC campaign if there is a smart campaign for doing this.  If the existing lead is updated by the form the changes would be synced to SFDC unless there was a field validation rule or other issue that caused the sync update to fail.  Based on what you described it sounds like a new lead record was not created, but you want to notify Sales to follow up with them after their new form submission.  If that is the case, you can create a task and/or send an email alert to Sales after the form submission.

Let me know if that is not your situation and provide more info.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Devraj Grewal​ - I am curious too if Elliott's response is correct. If so, can you mark it as Correct Answer under his post. Thanks

Devraj_Grewal

Hello Elliot,

Yes, so what I want to do is be notified of every time an existing lead does submit a new form with the same email so that Inside Sales is aware. Each time this has happened, there would be a new lead created, despite it being the same email. How can I set up a smart campaign to look for duplicate form submissions?

Thanks,

Devraj

Elliott_Lowe1

First, Marketo should not create a duplicate lead when a form is submitted with an email address of an existing lead, it should update the existing lead.  Are you using embedded Marketo forms on your website, non-Marketo form using server-side form post or a non-Marketo form using the SOAP / ReST API?  When the duplicate lead is created on the second form submission, is that second form submission at the same time or within a minute or two of the first form submission?

To send an alert to sales whenever a form is submitted create a smart campaign with a Fills Out Form trigger and a 'Not Lead was Created in past 1 minute' filter.  The flow would use the Send Alert flow action to send to the lead owner.

There is already a Duplicate Leads smart list in Marketo where you can see duplicates.  When you say you want to set up a smart campaign to look for duplicate form submissions, what action do you want that smart campaign to take - send an alert email about a duplicate record being created?

Devraj_Grewal

Elliott,

I am using a Marketo form and embedding it on our site. I understand that a duplicate lead would not be created, I was confused, and it will update the existing lead if it is a duplicate email. I simply just want to set up a smart campaign with an email alert to someone that this lead needs to be contacted again because I only receive a Marketo notification that a lead was attempting to be created.

Thanks.