SOLVED

No field mapping for new SFDC fields?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

No field mapping for new SFDC fields?

We use a custom SFDC field “sub industry” for both, leads and accounts. Both SFDC fields have the same name, and I also made sure that both fields are mapped in SFDC. So SFDC definitely knows that these fields belong together.

I don’t know why, but somehow I forgot to give the Marketo user in SFDC read/write rights for the sub industry field before starting the initial sync process. So I did this now.

After the first sync the lead sub industry field shows up in Marketo and is filled with data, but it is not mapped to the already existing (SFDC account) sub industry field which was created during the initial sync.

I don’t see the new field in the Marketo field mapping:
0EM50000000SfFE.jpg

But I do see both fields in the field list:
0EM50000000SfFJ.jpg

So consequently for Marketo leads which are also Salesforce leads the SFDC lead sub industry field is filled with SFDC data:
0EM50000000SfFO.jpg

And for Marketo leads which are Salesdorce contacts the SFDC account industry field is filled with SFDC data:
0EM50000000SfFT.jpg
(I granted Marketo read-only access to the account fields, so it’s OK that it is not editable.)

So my questions are:
  • Is this the default sync behavior?
  • How can I fix this?
  • And how can I prevent this from happening again?
Following best practices I granted Marketo only access to a minimal set of fields during the initial sync. Now I’m afrait that additional SFDC fields which I will add to the sync bit by bit will show up twice in Marketo – which would make them pretty much unusable in forms etc.
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: No field mapping for new SFDC fields?

You can contact Marketo Support to map the Sub Industry (L) to Sub Industry (A), but keep in mind when you do these Lead to Account fields, Marketo often creates orphan fields, separating them inside Marketo. So when you pull (L), you only get Leads. When you pull (A), you get Contacts that match that Account data.

So Marketo Support can help, but make sure those fields are not being used in the system yet.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can contact Marketo Support to map the Sub Industry (L) to Sub Industry (A), but keep in mind when you do these Lead to Account fields, Marketo often creates orphan fields, separating them inside Marketo. So when you pull (L), you only get Leads. When you pull (A), you get Contacts that match that Account data.

So Marketo Support can help, but make sure those fields are not being used in the system yet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, so if I understand this right, a field pair “SFDC lead field + SFDC contact field” is not such a big deal. But a field pair “SFDC lead field + SFDC account field” is a bit more difficult when synced to Marketo?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I have an idea why it didn’t work: I changed the language setting of the Marketo user in Salesforce between adding the two fields. Obviously Marketo is also quite interested in the display name of a SFDC field.

Adding two mapped SFDC fields (a lead field and a contact field) worked as a charm: Both SFDC fields are mapped to one field in Marketo, using the SFDC display name of the fields.