SOLVED

Newbie Question - Program Membership

Go to solution
Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Newbie Question - Program Membership

Hi all,

Quick question about program memberships, and excluding people based on membership (or not) of different programs.

If a lead is a member of a welcome journey, as an example, hen they flow to an engagement stream, or enter another email send program, does the membership update/dissolve automatically?

As in, if I want to exclude someone in the welcome journey, can I simply filter 'member of welcome program = false?'

Thanks,

Lucas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Victor_Herrero
Level 5

Betreff: Newbie Question - Program Membership

Hi @Lucas_Metherall 

If you have changed someone's program membership status to anything but "Not in Program", you can expect Marketo to remember that for as long as the person doesn't get deleted from the database or you delete the program itself. This is my understanding. 

Victor_Herrero_0-1595314569513.png

My recommendation would be to test this out even it seems like a lot of work at first. But I would test until you feel confident, and even when you feel confident, keep at it πŸ˜‰. It will save your life. 

How I would test this is creating a fake lead (that you can delete when done) that goes through your welcome email flow ( = is made a member of your program). Take note of the fake lead's email (I personally always write test emails in the same format so they are easy to find and delete: victor.herrero.companyname+testname@gmail.com). 

Then you can clone the smart campaign that adds people to your engagement flow and convert it to a batch program (normally just by removing the trigger part). If your campaign is scheduled (also called "batch campaign") then you won't need to do this. Then go to the "schedule" tab, where you will be able to see a preview of who would be affected. 

Look your fake lead up in there and make sure it's not on the list. That way you know it is working as intended. 

Victor_Herrero_1-1595314922115.png

That highlighted area in your schedule tab is clickable and will bring you to a preview of affected records in your database. 

When you are done, you can delete your fake lead and the "batchified" clone of the campaign (if you created one) for the preview.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Victor_Herrero
Level 5

Hi @Lucas_Metherall 

If you have changed someone's program membership status to anything but "Not in Program", you can expect Marketo to remember that for as long as the person doesn't get deleted from the database or you delete the program itself. This is my understanding. 

Victor_Herrero_0-1595314569513.png

My recommendation would be to test this out even it seems like a lot of work at first. But I would test until you feel confident, and even when you feel confident, keep at it πŸ˜‰. It will save your life. 

How I would test this is creating a fake lead (that you can delete when done) that goes through your welcome email flow ( = is made a member of your program). Take note of the fake lead's email (I personally always write test emails in the same format so they are easy to find and delete: victor.herrero.companyname+testname@gmail.com). 

Then you can clone the smart campaign that adds people to your engagement flow and convert it to a batch program (normally just by removing the trigger part). If your campaign is scheduled (also called "batch campaign") then you won't need to do this. Then go to the "schedule" tab, where you will be able to see a preview of who would be affected. 

Look your fake lead up in there and make sure it's not on the list. That way you know it is working as intended. 

Victor_Herrero_1-1595314922115.png

That highlighted area in your schedule tab is clickable and will bring you to a preview of affected records in your database. 

When you are done, you can delete your fake lead and the "batchified" clone of the campaign (if you created one) for the preview.

Hope this helps!

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Thank you.