Munchkin Code

John_Danielson1
Level 3

Munchkin Code

We recently launched a new website and it seems like our munchkin code is no longer working properly. The code on our new site is the exact same code that was copied from the old site, but for some reason now almost all (90-95%) of our leads our coming in with the same Inferred City (Ashburn, VA) and Inferred Company (Amazon.com). What's odd is there are occasional leads that come through with something else, which makes me think the munchkin code is working sometimes. When I contacted Marketo, they told us to move the code closer to the </body> tag, but that didn't make a difference. I had a member of our IT team look at the code and he suggested switching from the Simple version to the Asynchronous jQuery version. Does that make sense?

Note: There is a slight difference in what we have on our site and what Marketo provided, but it was copied from the old site where it was working, so I'm not sure why it doesn't on the new site!

Here's what Marketo provided us:

<script type="text/javascript">

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='//munchkin.marketo.net/munchkin.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));

</script>

Here's what we have on our site  (part that is different from what Marketo provides in bold and red😞

<script type="text/javascript">

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + document.location.protocol +

"//munchkin.marketo.net/munchkin.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));

</script>

Thanks!

JD

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Munchkin Code

Q should be in Products, not Community ("community" in this context is the Marketo Nation site itself).

The additional document.location.protocol is totally unnecessary as it's already a protocol-relative URL. However, this is not your problem. Nor does the async version have any bearing on this.

What's happening is your source IP is being hidden behind the CDN (Ashburn is an Amazon cloud location).

John_Danielson1
Level 3

Thanks Sanford, I moved the post to Products.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

John, do you have insight into whether these are actual leads and not spam (i.e. spam generated by an Amazon-hosted or Amazon-fronted network)?

I can't replicate any current bug with source IPs being lost by Marketo.

John_Danielson1
Level 3

Hey Sanford

They are definitely real leads. Our sales teams have spoken to them on the phone. I'm still waiting to hear back from Marketo. Hopefully they can figure something out.

John