Re: Munchkin Code on Third Party Site

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

What do you want this trigger campaign to do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want the trigger to shoot the visitor an email asking if they would like assistance or could use XYZ resource to guide them while using our tools.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Danny,

When the lead is transported from your site to the third party one, the tracking of the lead will be lost, since they are not on the same domain: the cookie on your domain cannot be read on the 3rd party domain (and vice versa).

There are some techniques to pass minimum lead information through the transfer URL that may help. For instance in the form of "http://www.thirdparty.com/page?email=leademail@leaddomain.com//www.thirdparty.com/page?email=leademail@leaddomain.com".

But when arriving on the 3rd party site, a new cookie will be placed by your Marketo munchkin and you need a form post there to associate this second cookie with the lead entry in Marketo.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

"Third-party site" is too ambiguous.  If it's a site that shares a parent registered domain with your website (www.example.com and info.example.com share such a domain) then it will also share the Munchkin cookie, assuming you've set the domainLevel param correctly (it will already be set correctly for a .com or other TLD of 3 letters or more).

If the sites do not have a parent registered domain in common, it becomes significantly more complex.  If you control all the entry points to the third-party site (that is, people always come from a form on your site to their site) then you can append their email address to the link, then do a hidden form post as Greg advises.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Good point. I was assuming that 3rd party meant different parent domain. Typically the site of a business partner.

Also, you will need a little JS dev to capture the email from the URL and post it into the form using the forms 2.0 API.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Good point. I was assuming that 3rd party meant different parent domain. Typically the site of a business partner.

I agree, typically it is a different parent when the word "vendor" is used, but I wanted to be sure.

Also, you will need a little JS dev to capture the email from the URL and post it into the form using the forms 2.0 API.

Hidden field to capture the Email, but yes, a little bit o' JS to do the auto-submit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We control Website A and Website B at different domains. If we put some javascript on Website A and call it from Website B, to set and read cookies, can we track what pages on Website B the user visited along with the lead?

Would the lead have to have submitted a form with their email address on Website A?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi James,

If the 2 sites are on the same domain, provided that the Marketo Munchkin code is set at the right (common) domain level, as written by Sanford, the lead will be tracked on both sites, without any need to do anything else.

If the 2 sites are on different domains, you need to pass a lead identification information in the transfer URL (http://www.a.com/page.html?email=lead.email@domain.com//www.a.com/page.html?email=lead.email@domain.com) and capture it when the lead arrives on the page on site A and post that info in the hidden form.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a bunch for the info Gregoire, Dan and Sanford.

So I just want to clarify, but if the site is, "www.OurSite.TheirSite.com" then we should be able to utilize munchkin tracking with out-of-the-box functionality right? Just so as long as we are sharing a parent domain?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Danny,

On all sites which domain is .theirsite.com, the same cookie will work as long as it is correctly placed in the top domain, not in the subdomain.

-Greg