Mirating Data from Hubspot to Marketo

Richard_Wasylyn
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

Mirating Data from Hubspot to Marketo

We are making the switch over to Marketo from Hubspot. I want to make sure that we move the data over without creating duplicates or losing data quality. What is the best process?

1. Should we export the data out of hubspot and then import it into Marketo. After the data is moved over then turn on the connection to SFDC?
2. Will the data connect from Marketo to SFDC based on the email matches? We want to make sure it doesn't create duplicates.
3. We have only MQL's in SFDC so our Marketo database is larger, should we connect to SFDC then upload the data into marketo so that it doesn't automatically sync in and create new records in SFDC that shouldn't be there?
Richard Wasylynchuk
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mirating Data from Hubspot to Marketo

So, I'd recommend talking to whomever is helping you with Enablemenet for this new subscription so you can get some hand-holding around this. That said, the usual process I've seen is this (I'm assuming SFDC has a subset of the data in Marketo):

1. Sync Marketo with SFDC
2. SFDC leads will flow into Marketo
3. Export the Hubspot leads that are NOT in Marketo
4. Import those exported leads into Marketo

If a lead is in Marketo before the sync starts, it doesn't match on email address- it tries to match on ID and might make duplicates. So, you want to start by syncing over everything possible.

Also, if you can't just export the leads from Hubspot that aren't in Marketo, you can go ahead and import all the leads because they'll just update what is there and not make dupes.
Anonymous
Not applicable

One option is running the initial SFDC-Marketo sync and then uploading the Hubspot data into Marketo.

Marketo accepts all data from SFDC (master database) without checking for duplicates. That is by design, considering the master database is supposed to be reasonably clean.

If Marketo is loaded before the initial sync, the number fo possible duplicates can be high. 

Uploding the Hubspot data into Marketo after the initial sync will update existing records, using the email address as lookup key.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Once you have the Marketo-SFDC sync working, your HubSpot leads can be imported as noted above.

The key thing to watch out for is the HubSpot leads' Lead Status. If HubSpot has lots of non MQLs, then you need to make sure the spreadsheet you create has the right  Statuses, Email Permissions, and any other standard data.

I doubt you can easily pull in past behaviors though.

Those leads won't sync unless they match an existing SFDC lead OR they are synced in another way (add to SFDC Campaign, Program sync, or MQL sync).

So be sure that your workflow for MQLs and lead management are setup in advance.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Richard,

I am just starting the process of the Hubspot to Marketo migration. Do you have any quick pieces of advice you can give me now that you have (I assume) completed the change over?

Thanks

Spencer