SOLVED

Merged Leads Re-Uploaded

Go to solution
Connor_Cox
Level 2

Merged Leads Re-Uploaded

1. Let's say I have a lead that I upload and their email is jane.doe@gmail.com.
2. Then they fill out a form later and enter a business email, jane.doe@company.com.
3. I merge the two leads keeping the business email.
4. Then I get another list with Jane on it.... and enter her as jane.doe@gmail.com again. 
Q: Do I have to re-merge or... what happens and what is best practice ?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Merged Leads Re-Uploaded

Hi Connor,

Yes, you will have to re-merge the leads.   Marketo de-dupes based on email address and since the current email address in your database would be her work email, it would not recognize the gmail also belongs to the existing record.

The best practice here would be to keep an eye on your Possible Duplicates list, but also build your own custom smartlist to catch cases such as this.  You can create a smart list with the Duplicate Field filter and look for duplicates that have the same full name. There will be edge cases, but you will probably catch a majority of them this way.  If you use SFDC, there are some AppExchange apps that you can use to define custom logic to find possible duplicates. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Connor,

Yes, you will have to re-merge the leads.   Marketo de-dupes based on email address and since the current email address in your database would be her work email, it would not recognize the gmail also belongs to the existing record.

The best practice here would be to keep an eye on your Possible Duplicates list, but also build your own custom smartlist to catch cases such as this.  You can create a smart list with the Duplicate Field filter and look for duplicates that have the same full name. There will be edge cases, but you will probably catch a majority of them this way.  If you use SFDC, there are some AppExchange apps that you can use to define custom logic to find possible duplicates. 
Connor_Cox
Level 2

Thanks Val, that's kind of what I expected... Wasn't sure if Marketo was smart enough to remember merges (similar to how they manage unsubscribes even after they are deleted).