SOLVED

MCE Question - Duplicates vs. Partitions

Go to solution
Kristof
Level 3

MCE Question - Duplicates vs. Partitions

Hi,
I'm confused by the below practice test question. From the Marketo documentation I recall that separate partitions CAN have duplicate email addresses, so why the below suggests that the deduplication takes place between partition A and B? Thoughts?

0_question.png

kristof
Tags (2)
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: MCE Question - Duplicates vs. Partitions

@Darshil_Shah1 you're pretty much spot on, but it goes a little further.

You can specify WHICH input sources do include for partition level de-duping.

So, for example, you can say that list imports are deduped by email/partition, but form fills are still just de-duped by email address.  This goes for pretty much any way of loading a record... LinkedIn, Facebook, API, Form Fill, List Upload and any others I've forgotten.

Cheers

Jo

View solution in original post

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

So, for example, you can say that list imports are deduped by email/partition, but form fills are still just de-duped by email address.  This goes for pretty much any way of loading a record... LinkedIn, Facebook, API, Form Fill, List Upload and any others I've forgotten.

Cheers

Jo

Of course- that's possible! Thanks for the addendum, Jo!

@Kristof, all this needs custom de-dupe+input source updates by the Marketo support. So all-in-all OOTB you can't have duplicate records across multiple person partitions. So option B is indeed the correct answer for the question you've posted. Let us know if you have any further questions and GOOD LUCK for your exam. 🙂

Darshil_Shah1

@uditmathur, the official exam guide (linked below), and the sample test within it should be your trusted and go-to items for your exam prep. To give you a background, for the most part, the exam has been changed to make it more on real-world scenarios and practical applications, rather than just memorization. The expert level exam (Adobe Certified Expert - Adobe Marketo Engage Business Practitioner) expects test takers to have spent a good amount of time in the instance building stuff, working on real-world problems, etc. than just knowing what is where. Below are some articles/links you should find helpful:

1. What's new with the Marketo Certified Expert exam?
  2. Exam Guide: Adobe Marketo Engage Business Practitioner Expert
  3. Champion Tips for Taking Your Marketo Engage Certification Exam

9 REPLIES 9
Darshil_Shah1

Well, I don't think so! By default, Marketo partitions cannot have duplicate records. See the same highlighted in the Workspaces and Partitions documentation page below:

Darshil_Shah1_0-1692373288299.png

However, you can have separate person records with the same email address across partitions by reaching out to Marketo support and getting your instance's de-duplication rules updated from just email address to email address to a custom field/partition id, but again OOTB, by default you can't have people with same email addresses co-exist in multiple partitions.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@Darshil_Shah1 you're pretty much spot on, but it goes a little further.

You can specify WHICH input sources do include for partition level de-duping.

Cheers

Jo

Darshil_Shah1

Cheers

Jo

Of course- that's possible! Thanks for the addendum, Jo!

@Kristof, all this needs custom de-dupe+input source updates by the Marketo support. So all-in-all OOTB you can't have duplicate records across multiple person partitions. So option B is indeed the correct answer for the question you've posted. Let us know if you have any further questions and GOOD LUCK for your exam. 🙂

Kristof
Level 3

Thanks a lot @Darshil_Shah1 and @Jo_Pitts1 ! 🙂

I was just confused actually by what I read earlier from the Documentation as the intro and the Note there clearly says:

"Person partitions act like separate databases. Each partition has its own people that do not de-dupe or mix with other partitions."

For me, the above means that I CAN have the same person (=email address) BOTH in Partition A & B - as they are separate and do not dedupe against each other...

And also in the Note later it is said there: 

• "You want duplicates for other business reasons" - so again it suggests I can have same email addresses sitting in Partition A and B = they do not deduplicate between A & B = because partition A does not see or interfere with partition B - this is my understanding...

Of course, deduplication happens WITHIN the partition.

Anyway, I took an exam on Saturday and have passed it with 44/50 score! So I'm happy with the result :)) Thankfully, the questions on the exam were more clear comparing to the practice test example questions. 

Cheers!
K

kristof
Zoe_Forman
Level 7 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Well done on passing Kristof, I agree sometimes the wording of the questions can make you scratch your head a little and you question your own knowledge or answers.

Darshil_Shah1

I agree, the de-dupe word is a bit confusing, especially for the users reading it for the first time/who are just getting started with Marketo. If you have more than one Person Partition, you effectively have several databases that are mutually exclusive. In reality, a Person Partition isn’t a separate database, but the system treats it almost that way. If you have a workspace that doesn't have access to a person partition, the marketing assets (e.g., smart lists), can't run rules/apply updates to people in it (there are some caveats, but in general this is true).

PS- Congratulations on passing the exams with a wonderful score. Amazing feat!  👏 

uditmathur
Level 4

Hi Kristof,

Congrats for clearing Exam.

Wanted to ask how helpful are the practice question in the real exam, as i am also planning to take exam next month.

Are there any other sample question we can practice on.

Tags (3)
Darshil_Shah1

@uditmathur, the official exam guide (linked below), and the sample test within it should be your trusted and go-to items for your exam prep. To give you a background, for the most part, the exam has been changed to make it more on real-world scenarios and practical applications, rather than just memorization. The expert level exam (Adobe Certified Expert - Adobe Marketo Engage Business Practitioner) expects test takers to have spent a good amount of time in the instance building stuff, working on real-world problems, etc. than just knowing what is where. Below are some articles/links you should find helpful:

1. What's new with the Marketo Certified Expert exam?
  2. Exam Guide: Adobe Marketo Engage Business Practitioner Expert
  3. Champion Tips for Taking Your Marketo Engage Certification Exam
uditmathur
Level 4

Thankyou Darshil_shah1