SOLVED

Marketo Smart Campaign not updating SFDC Campaign member Statuses

Go to solution
trevlarrr
Level 3

Marketo Smart Campaign not updating SFDC Campaign member Statuses

Hi, we've recently switched to Marketo and I've just set up our first smart campaign which I linked to a Salesforce campaign. It seemed to run fine and added the email recipients to the Salesforce campaign and updated their status to 'Sent' however, none of the further actions (bounced, open, clicked etc) has updated the Salesforce Campaign member Status so they all still say sent.

The flow was set up as follows:

Step 1 - Send email
Step 2 - Add to SFDC Campaign - Campaign= [CAMPAIGN NAME] Status= Sent

Step 3 - Change Status in SFDC Campaign - If=Email Bounced 'is' [EMAIL NAME] Campaign =[CAMPAIGN NAME] New Status=Bounced

Step 4 - Change Status in SFDC Campaign - If=Opened Email 'is' [EMAIL NAME] Campaign =[CAMPAIGN NAME] New Status=Opened Email

Step 5 - Change owner - Owner name=USER: NAME

Step 6 - Change Status in SFDC Campaign - If=Clicked Link in Email 'is' [EMAIL NAME] Campaign =[CAMPAIGN NAME] New Status=Clicked Link

Steps 1 and 2 worked fine but it hasn't made any of the status changes after that and if I look at someone who opened or bounced their activity log shows two entries with "Change Status in SFDC Campaign - Failed: Could not find sfdcCampaign by id="

Do you know why it's failed on that? Is there something else I should have put in to the flow?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Marketo Smart Campaign not updating SFDC Campaign member Statuses

@trevlarrr wrote:

Hi, we've recently switched to Marketo and I've just set up our first smart campaign which I linked to a Salesforce

Did you mean Marketo program? You can't link a Marketo smart campaign with a SFDC campaign - you can link the "Marketo program" with SFDC campaign.

Additionally, if your Marketo Program and SFDC Campaign are linked with each other - you just need to update the correct Marketo program status using "Change Program Status" flow step - corresponding member status updates in the SFDC campaign would be taken care automatically by the sync process. You can either link the Marketo program and the Campaign with each other and let the member/status sync automatically or not link the Marketo program and the Campaign and take care of adding people to campaign/update the correct status in SFDC campaign manually using Add to SFDC Campaign/Change status in SFDC Campaign flow step. 

Secondly, I think you need to add a wait step b/w step 2 and step 3 or better if you can create separate trigger (or batch if you don't wanna update the statuses in real time) campaigns for updating the bounced, opened, and clicked statuses. It probably doesn't make much sense to check if the email has bounced or if people have opened/clicked the email right away after sending out the email in flow step 1 - most likely none of the people would have qualified for the Bounced/Opened/Clicked choice step and would have passed through the Default Choice step and Change SFDC Campaign Status step should have been skipped - but instead you are seeing a campaign not found error - do you have any campaign selected/added in the default choice of the steps?

View solution in original post

Darshil_Shah1

Well, you can either choose to link the Program with the SFDC campaign or manually update the SFDC campaign's status using a SC in Marketo - In the former, all status updates in the SFDC are done on automatically by the sync, while in the latter you need to have a SC setup to update the campaign statuses in SFDC.  

In either ways, AFAIK, you cannot link a Marketo smart campaign like you would link a Marketo program.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Kaitlyn_Simko
Level 4

Hi there,

You are using the right step, technically, to change status.

I am interested in your campaign set up...Is there a reason you are tracking email metrics in SFDC?  How big is the list you will be sending to?  Your flow steps are part of a batch campaign, not a trigger.  I am not sure it will function the way you think it will.

trevlarrr
Level 3

Thanks for the reply, we're using Salesforce campaigns for our sales team so they can track the progress of outbound campaigns and easily see in one place which ones to follow up with based on their engagement. We are going to look at interesting moments and lead scoring going forward but this seemed the easiest way for them to keep tabs on the campaigns at the moment.

Darshil_Shah1

@trevlarrr wrote:

Hi, we've recently switched to Marketo and I've just set up our first smart campaign which I linked to a Salesforce

Did you mean Marketo program? You can't link a Marketo smart campaign with a SFDC campaign - you can link the "Marketo program" with SFDC campaign.

Additionally, if your Marketo Program and SFDC Campaign are linked with each other - you just need to update the correct Marketo program status using "Change Program Status" flow step - corresponding member status updates in the SFDC campaign would be taken care automatically by the sync process. You can either link the Marketo program and the Campaign with each other and let the member/status sync automatically or not link the Marketo program and the Campaign and take care of adding people to campaign/update the correct status in SFDC campaign manually using Add to SFDC Campaign/Change status in SFDC Campaign flow step. 

Secondly, I think you need to add a wait step b/w step 2 and step 3 or better if you can create separate trigger (or batch if you don't wanna update the statuses in real time) campaigns for updating the bounced, opened, and clicked statuses. It probably doesn't make much sense to check if the email has bounced or if people have opened/clicked the email right away after sending out the email in flow step 1 - most likely none of the people would have qualified for the Bounced/Opened/Clicked choice step and would have passed through the Default Choice step and Change SFDC Campaign Status step should have been skipped - but instead you are seeing a campaign not found error - do you have any campaign selected/added in the default choice of the steps?

trevlarrr
Level 3

Thanks for this, does seem like an issue because of the missed steps you mentioned. I'll look in to triggers too, I hadn't realised when I set it up that it would run through all the steps straight away, I thought it would be as and when they interact with the email, but I'm guessing that's what triggers do instead, is that right?

Darshil_Shah1

I thought it would be as and when they interact with the email

That is not how the Marketo batch campaigns work.

but I'm guessing that's what triggers do instead, is that right?

Yes, that is correct! Trigger campaigns listen for the activity as per the chosen trigger e.g., a campaign with "Opens Email" trigger will listen for an Email Open Activity, you can also add the filters in the trigger campaigns like in the batch to let only required people qualify and flow through the campaign flow steps as per your business requirement.

Kaitlyn_Simko
Level 4

"You can't link a Marketo smart campaign with a SFDC campaign - you can link the "Marketo program" with SFDC campaign"

This is not true.  You do not need to link the Program with SFDC campaign.  You can just use a smart campaign.

Darshil_Shah1

Well, you can either choose to link the Program with the SFDC campaign or manually update the SFDC campaign's status using a SC in Marketo - In the former, all status updates in the SFDC are done on automatically by the sync, while in the latter you need to have a SC setup to update the campaign statuses in SFDC.  

In either ways, AFAIK, you cannot link a Marketo smart campaign like you would link a Marketo program.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Agreed, the Add to SFDC Campaign isn’t a “link” in the same sense. It’s a flow step and while it can be part of an overall automated process, it’s a one-by-one thing instead of being integrated into the batch sync. And it’s disabled if the automatic sync is on.