SOLVED

Re: Marketo Sales Insight: Clicks web page in an email, but no Web Activity

Go to solution
Amanda_Thomas6
Level 9

Marketo Sales Insight: Clicks web page in an email, but no Web Activity

In Salesforce, under Marketo Sales Insight,  I can see that a lead has clicked the link to our website in a few different emails (under Interesting Moments), but it shows no web activity (under the web activity tab). Has anyone ran into this before?

I double checked the campaign results and the lead did in fact click on the link to our web page.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The behavior, in the best (that is, most workaround-able) case, is

• the Clicked Email is logged
  • a subsequent Visit Web Page -- that would otherwise be expected -- is not logged

Note you can only differentiate this behavior from regular human behavior if you expect the VWP.  That is, if the destination page doesn't run Munchkin and/or is a direct PDF download, you wouldn't expect a VWP so nothing is missing.

Other attempts to "fingerprint" the anti-spam prefetchers are -- deliberately, to be sure -- so far not reliable. Only this particular behavior points to non-human stuff that we want to discard.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

First thing's first, are you seeing other web activity recorded from that page?

Amanda_Thomas6
Level 9

Hi Kenny,

Yes. Others that have clicked the same link have web activity recorded for visiting that web page.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps email clicks are being tracked properly; however, the munchkin tracking code (snippet of JavaScript) is not published on that specific web page.

Amanda_Thomas6
Level 9

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. I checked and the code is on the page. Not sure what's going on.

SanfordWhiteman

Probably what we've been discussing here: Spam filters registering clicks?

SanfordWhiteman

...did in fact click on the link to our web page.

I think you may be overconfident about "did in fact."  In other threads we've been exploring anti-spam services which prefetch tracking links and workarounds.  Of course, if what Michel suggests is true for you, that would be much better!

Amanda_Thomas6
Level 9

Thanks, Sanford. Has marketo reported clicks, as in on the campaign results, that didn't actually take place? Can you determine if a click came from an anti-spam service?

SanfordWhiteman

The behavior, in the best (that is, most workaround-able) case, is

• the Clicked Email is logged
  • a subsequent Visit Web Page -- that would otherwise be expected -- is not logged

Note you can only differentiate this behavior from regular human behavior if you expect the VWP.  That is, if the destination page doesn't run Munchkin and/or is a direct PDF download, you wouldn't expect a VWP so nothing is missing.

Other attempts to "fingerprint" the anti-spam prefetchers are -- deliberately, to be sure -- so far not reliable. Only this particular behavior points to non-human stuff that we want to discard.

Amanda_Thomas6
Level 9

What's the best way you track these behaviors? Where there is a click reported, but no web page activity related to the lead. I only came across this because the influx of clicks prompted me to look deeper into a whole list of leads. I'd like to report on these in order to