SOLVED

Re: Marketo Removing Code for Image Scaling for Outlook at 125%dpi

Go to solution
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

We will be releasing this feature with a patch outside of our normal release schedule and I want to explain how it will work. The items will be applied to our production code tonight (10/13) and will be available for activation starting tomorrow. It will not be turned on automatically for all customers. We will, however, enable the feature on an ad-hoc basis for those that are interested. If you would like this feature enabled, please email me atjcooperman@marketo.com and tell me the Munchkin ID of your subscription.

While this functionality has been thoroughly tested, we won't be enabling this for all customers for 1-2 months. It is a large change and it is important that you understand (and communicate to your team) the behavior before choosing to enable this.

With this feature enabled, you will see the following behavior:

• Custom DOCTYPES will not be stripped from your Email Templates when creating new Emails in Marketo.
  • Custom HTML attributes will not be stripped from your Email Templates when creating new Emails in Marketo.

Please Note:

• Your custom DOCTYPE will persist only if it is the very first line of your Email Template or what you are pasting into Email Actions > HTML Tools > Replace HTML. If the DOCTYPE is anywhere else, it will be stripped and replaced with Marketo's default DOCTYPE.
    • If you have existing Email Templates that already have custom DOCTYPES, they will now persist into your new Emails once the feature is enabled. Because this is a change from today's behavior, we highly recommend you make sure this will not cause issues for your existing emails. Same goes for existing Email Templates with custom HTML attributes.
    • If you omit a DOCTYPE in your Email Template or what you paste into Email Actions > HTML Tools > Replace HTML, the default Marketo DOCTYPE will still be added. You cannot create an Email without a DOCTYPE.
    • The Email Template "Preview" option will not show your custom DOCTYPE. This is expected so you can disregard this. Your emails will still have the DOCTYPE. This also applies to custom HTML attributes.

Again, please reach out directly if you'd like this enabled starting tomorrow (10/14) for your subscription. We will roll this out to all customers shortly after.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

This is now in our production environment!

I've only received two requests so far to enable the feature. Please don't be shy! Let me know if you want this enabled in your subscription and make sure you tell your team about the behavior change (noted above).

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I just finished testing... AND IT WORKS!!!!  Thanks so much, Justin Cooperman  ​ !  BTW, it's not just the DOCTYPE that caused the issues, but Marketo was also stripping the xmlns definitions within the <HTML> tag, just after the DOCTYPE.  These critical three lines of code are now also being preserved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it sad that I'm excited to try this out?

Eben_Shapiro
Level 3

Hi Justin,

I would like to enable this feature, but I have to check with my team first. Just to be clear, these changes will not affect emails that have already been created, is that right? I just want to make sure we don't have to verify that old emails still look good after enabling these new features.

Thank you,

Eben

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

It won't do anything to existing emails. But, if you look at my comments above, if you have an existing email template that has things like a custom DOCTYPE then all of a sudden when you create new emails from that template, that will persist.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you update a template, all e-mails using that template which were approved will continue to use the previous version of that template until you approve the new drafts of each of those e-mails, right? Just want to confirm.

1. E-mail "a" uses template "b".
  2. Template "b" is updated to "b-version-2" and a draft of e-mail "a" ("a-version-2") is automatically created which uses the new template ("b-version-2").
  3. E-mail "a" continues to exist and uses the original version of template "b" until "a-version-2" has been approved - and continues to be sent out with the original version of template "b" if it's part of some program.
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

That is correct.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! Thanks, Justin!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Justin -

I've been out of office and came back to this - it's great news! I'll discuss with my team to make sure no one is inconvenienced, then I'll reach out for this to be enabled. You're amazing! Thanks!

Jackie