Re: Marketo not showing webpage activity information for leads created from WebService API source

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Marketo not showing webpage activity information for leads created from WebService API source

Agreed! If you were able to see the web page activities before, maybe your devs did some updates recently that removed the setup to associate the cookie with the person record. Maybe you could ask one of your developers to hop on this thread and let us know how they're handling the cookie association. 🙂

Mkhanna0510
Level 2

Sure, I will ask our developer team to chime in on this to provide the information. However, I have also escalated this issue to Marketo Support and not sure they provided the correct response on the same.

Mkhanna0510_0-1687805065264.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

This wouldn’t be relevant to API-created and -associated leads. Support isn’t the best resource for developer questions.

Mkhanna0510
Level 2

@SanfordWhiteman @Darshil_Shah1 Our developer team and I totally agree with your point that our Non-Marketo Sign-up page is just sending the lead and the Munchkin cookie is present on the page only. We need to associate the lead's activity with lead creation in Marketo. My developer team has some queries, if you can help that will be great - 

1. What do we need to send from the Munchkin cookie to the Marketo Lead REST API to associate anonymous activity with a lead?
  2. How do we get this information from the cookie?

Darshil_Shah1

You should call the Associate Lead endpoint with the Munchkin tracking cookie (_mkto_trk) value and lead id securely via the backend (and not from the client-side). This would associate that tracking cookie with the know person record in the Marketo database, and any subsequent activities on pages with Munchkin JS by the person on that tracked session would be logged in Marketo in their activity log.

Mkhanna0510
Level 2

@Darshil_Shah1 Is this the right way to do this? Or Can you assist with some code to link Munchkin Code to the lead creation?

Mkhanna0510_0-1689688504038.png

Darshil_Shah1

I don't know your stack/backend to be able to provide a fully functional code. I can certainly recommend you to use the Associate Leads endpoint (and not the post leads endpoint) to associate a known Marketo lead record to a munchkin cookie and its associated web activity history. I think you should reach out to your developer with these details, and they should be able to set this up. 🙂