SOLVED

Marketo Landing Pages - Time on Page Metrics

Go to solution
Nikki_Aurelio
Level 3

Marketo Landing Pages - Time on Page Metrics

Hi -

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation on the best way to get two detailed metrics for a Marketo landing page:

1. Time on page: I'd like to measure the time spent on a Marketo landing page, as well as bounce rate. Do I need to integrate Google Analytics to do this?
  2. Form abandonment by field: I'd like to measure how many specific fields on a form are completed when someone abandons a Marketo landing page and doesn't hit submit. For example, we have a slightly longer registration form, and we'd like to see not only if people are coming to the page and abandoning like you can currently, but also if they are starting to enter the form fields without completing it and at what point they are abandoning.

Appreciate any guidance on getting these advanced metrics for Marketo landing pages!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Marketo Landing Pages - Time on Page Metrics

1. Time on page: I'd like to measure the time spent on a Marketo landing page, as well as bounce rate. Do I need to integrate Google Analytics to do this?

You can search the Community for "time on page" -- I posted some code to do this a long time ago.

"Bounce rate" for an LP, at its most basic, is form fillouts divided by views, but you can't really use the LP Statistics tab for this. You should use a Landing Page Performance report.

1. Form abandonment by field: I'd like to measure how many specific fields on a form are completed when someone abandons a Marketo landing page and doesn't hit submit. For example, we have a slightly longer registration form, and we'd like to see not only if people are coming to the page and abandoning like you can currently, but also if they are starting to enter the form fields without completing it and at what point they are abandoning.

You can send "pings" to Marketo using the Munchkin API to log forms in progress. But most of these these will go under the anonymous side of the database, which isn't good for this kind of abandonment reporting... I mean, you can run a Web Page Activity report on Anonymous leads, then export it and parse stuff out, but it's not really convenient. Plus, to measure only abandonment you need to remove those people that sent status pings (field by field) but then did click Submit. Marketo won't remove earlier logged events so you'd have to do pretty robust cross-reffing and such.

Overall, I'd say something to do outside of Marketo with a dedicated package.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can search the Community for "time on page" -- I posted some code to do this a long time ago.

"Bounce rate" for an LP, at its most basic, is form fillouts divided by views, but you can't really use the LP Statistics tab for this. You should use a Landing Page Performance report.

1. Form abandonment by field: I'd like to measure how many specific fields on a form are completed when someone abandons a Marketo landing page and doesn't hit submit. For example, we have a slightly longer registration form, and we'd like to see not only if people are coming to the page and abandoning like you can currently, but also if they are starting to enter the form fields without completing it and at what point they are abandoning.

You can send "pings" to Marketo using the Munchkin API to log forms in progress. But most of these these will go under the anonymous side of the database, which isn't good for this kind of abandonment reporting... I mean, you can run a Web Page Activity report on Anonymous leads, then export it and parse stuff out, but it's not really convenient. Plus, to measure only abandonment you need to remove those people that sent status pings (field by field) but then did click Submit. Marketo won't remove earlier logged events so you'd have to do pretty robust cross-reffing and such.

Overall, I'd say something to do outside of Marketo with a dedicated package.

Nikki_Aurelio
Level 3

Thanks Sanford!!

I did see some of your previous posts for "time on page" but it seemed like it was more about triggering interesting events based on a set timeframe. I'm wondering if there's a way to report like in GA on bounce rates so we can optimize our page, regardless of completing the form.

Was hoping there'd be a quick fix for some of this, but agreed it sounds like something best done outside of traditional Marketo reporting.

Appreciate it!