SOLVED

Re: Marketo is being slow - anyone else experiencing this?

Go to solution
dillonlee02
Level 3

Marketo is being slow - anyone else experiencing this?

Hi all,

It seems that Marketo, at least in this new instance that I am working in at my new company, is extremely slow. It has got to the point where Marketo will freeze for about 15-30 seconds, and will then display a pop-up window to "Kill Unresponsive Pages," and has caused a ton of inefficiencies. How would you all approach improving the speed of our Marketo instance?

Regards,

Dillon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thorsten
Level 4

Hi Dillon,

I would check and do the following:

1. Check if it happens
    1. from different network connections, e.g. work, VPN, home. If it's slow for all, you at least can iron out a local network issue.
    2. at different times a day. Is it only slow when you start working? It might just be a ton of campaigns scheduled for the same time, or imports happening simultaneously
  2. Check if people generally follow Smart Campaign best practices 
  3. Log a support ticket with (hopefully) reproducible steps

Rgds,

Thorsten

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Thorsten
Level 4

Hi Dillon,

I would check and do the following:

1. Check if it happens
    1. from different network connections, e.g. work, VPN, home. If it's slow for all, you at least can iron out a local network issue.
    2. at different times a day. Is it only slow when you start working? It might just be a ton of campaigns scheduled for the same time, or imports happening simultaneously
  2. Check if people generally follow Smart Campaign best practices 
  3. Log a support ticket with (hopefully) reproducible steps

Rgds,

Thorsten

dillonlee02
Level 3

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for the reply! This information is very helpful, and I ended up bringing this feedback to the global team about the need to reduce how many triggered campaigns are running all at once, and see if there was opportunity to consolidate old and new campaigns, or sunset any old workflows that no longer needed to run. I know Marketo usually does this for us on a reoccurring basis (quarterly, I believe), but nonetheless, that was the issue. Marketo has been working a lot faster, and we also went through and cleaned up our inherited token values at the main-level, since a lot of the values we had were no longer being used.

Regards,

Dillon

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@dillonlee02 ,

where is this happening?  If it is in the email editor, check that someone hasn't used a high res image.  I have a client who used to have a bad habit of throwing 12 mega pixel images into emails!  

That stuffs up Marketo real quick!

Cheers

Jo

dillonlee02
Level 3

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the response! This is helpful, and I never knew this could be an issue until seeing your response. I can now see how this could be a problem, but fortunately, the issue we were experiencing was outside of our email editor. It was in Marketing Activities where Marketo would slow down tremendously. As a matter of fact, we are editing our emails via Knak, which then syncs the emails into Marketo via an API.

Best,
Dillon

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

It might be worth checking the campaign queue as well to see whether there's any processes running that slow the platform down.

dillonlee02
Level 3

Hi Katja,

Yes, you're right! This was the issue that was slowing us down, and I ended up bringing this to the attention of our global marketing ops team, and they were able to work with Marketo on resolving!

Best,
Dillon