SOLVED

Marketo Integration with WebEx Webinars

Go to solution
michellechopin
Level 5

Marketo Integration with WebEx Webinars

Happy Halloween Community friends!

I am trying to set up WebEx Webinars in our Marketo instance ahead of an impending event and am struggling REAL hard to do so. I see there is WebEx Webinars and WebEx in the LaunchPoint options - I'm using the former as that is the tool we are using.

However, when I get to the integration details screen and click on Log Into WebEx Webinars, I am taken to the WebEx page where I enter the person's information who has admin rights and get this error:

michellechopin_1-1698776741558.png

This person is set up as a full admin on WebEx WEBINARs, and that log in page looks like:

michellechopin_2-1698776765965.png

The Marketo documentation to Add WebEx as a LaunchPoint Service also shows that WebEx log in page so I'm assuming it's something I'm doing wrong - does this person need to be an admin in regular WebEx AND Webinars? FYI, logging in using these credentials for the WebEx LaunchPoint service gives me an error because it won't accept any of the sites that I add in (the settings are slightly different).

Any help is appreciated (I also cannot submit support tickets right now but if that's the route to go I will send one as soon as I can).

Michelle 👻

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
michellechopin
Level 5

Re: Marketo Integration with WebEx Webinars

Quick update here after figuring things out. If you're using the Webex Webinars platform and wish to integrate with Marketo, these two things must be true:

1. The Webex Webinars account being used for the integration has to have the right permission in Marketo - while it doesn't require full Admin permissions, the user must have "Access Event Partners" toggled on their role
  2. When adding the webinar to the individual Marketo program(s), the webinar must be created by the person who is connected via the integration
    1. I had to update permissions for the user who had set up these webinars so THEY could add the integration instead of me (the system admin for Marketo) - this is ineffective. 
    2. I have reached out to the Webex Support person we've been working with to ask what larger teams do to get around this because it's not always going to be the case where the same person who is on the integration link is setting up webinars. Surely Webex doesn't expect us to redo the integration every time we need to connect a Marketo program to this tool? Will post updates if/when I get them

Also, @Darshil_Shah1 , is it possible to get the Marketo documentation updated - each of these should include one or both of the notes/things to remember:

Thanks for all the help in troubleshooting - I'm amazed at how much effort we had to put in to get to this simple answer 😂 but super glad we got it figured out for our upcoming January webinar (and I hope this helps anyone else struggling with the integration too!).

Have a great rest of your week friends 😀

Michelle

View solution in original post

michellechopin
Level 5

Sounds great about the documentation updates, @Darshil_Shah1!

We heard back from the Cisco/Webex support team about my questions for future use if we had more than one person creating webinars - their feedback is:

Given that this is a user based integration, it is important that whoever wants to sync their webinars, will need to login in to Webex from Marketo through launchpoint.  This is key because of security reasons, since in an external system a particular users information can only be synced if the user explicitly signs in and provides access.

We have seen some customers use a common marketing user (like marketing@..... Or info@...) as a user and schedule all webinars through that user, then add that user’s login in Marketo.  Hope that helps.

We're OK for now as we only have one user scheduling webinars but once that team/need expands, we'll move to using a general email address to schedule and integrate webinars via Webex (we do this with GoTo Webinar and it makes things like that much easier). While the other option is possible (users don't need full Admin rights, only the ability to "Access Event Partners"), we prefer to minimize the amount of system updates that our users can perform so we don't have anything added without our knowledge.

Thanks again for your support on this and I hope that our findings help others out if they encounter the same challenge.

Have a great week ahead 😀

Michelle

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Thank you for posting an update, @michellechopin! Yes, the idea of using a common/shared email address seems good and reasonable (similar to how we have to create and use a sync user for the Salesforce/MS Dynamics integration with Marketo). For integrations between platforms, it’s crucial and sometimes gets a bit tricky to ensure the data security in place, and hence, such measures.

24 REPLIES 24
Katja_Keesom

Not entirely sure, but worth a check: What are the rights of that same user in Marketo?

michellechopin
Level 5

This person has a custom user role in Marketo with no admin rights. While I would wonder if that was the issue, our GoToWebinar account is linked through a generic user account which doesn't even use Marketo and that one connected with no issues.

Appreciate the suggestion - the more troubleshooting options the better! 😁

Darshil_Shah1

With Webex retiring its legacy Webex events, Webex integration has undergone some changes. However, the legacy version would still be supported for Marketo customers until EOY this year. Do you happen to have a user who's an admin in both Webex Webinar and Webex that you can try authorizing the Launchpoint service with? I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be just a bug.

Haven`t tried yet the Webex Webinars integration, but with Webex Events it used to be the case that the integration did not work if Webex Events tenant had SSO enabled. Maybe this is the case for Webex Webinars integration as well.

Will try to connect the platforms later this week and post here if it works.

michellechopin
Level 5

I'm not sure if we had WebEx Events before or just went right into WebEx Webinars - either way, this is the first time we've added the integration to Marketo so I'm hopeful this is an odd bug vs anything stuck in the integration settings 🤞🏻

The user that has admin privileges now has them in WebEx AND WebEx Webinars but I'm still getting the error (I cleared my cache before trying again to be sure nothing was hanging around). Does it mean anything that it says "The account is not authorized"? Is it the general WebEx Webinars account vs the user themselves?

If it's worth submitting a support ticket, I can do that also!

Thanks as always for help, insights, tips!

Michelle

I can confirm that we have linked Webex Webinars with Marketo, but the tenant without SSO enabled.

If you have SSO on your Webex tenant enabled, the integration will not work (also tested).

michellechopin
Level 5

Thanks @Matjaž_Jaušove2 - that's good to know!

I was able to add the integration via LaunchPoint - Webex has a slightly different process to GoToWebinar in that it requires the log in account/user to be an Admin in Marketo. I had our Webex admin add me as one too, and the connection setup fine.

We're currently having an issue where, when I try to add the webinar to the associated Marketo Program, it tells me that there are no webinars scheduled in Webex (however, the admin/organizer has confirmed that there are indeed webinars set up in there):

michellechopin_0-1701195409776.png

I have had this error since yesterday but still giving Marketo more time in case it needs to sync everything and happens to be really slow about it. I've also asked the Webex Support person to confirm if MFA is an issue and if we have SSO enabled in case that's what's causing the problem.

Appreciate the information and I will keep this thread open until I get this resolved in case I can share information that might help others!

Michelle 😀

One issue might be that you have schedule a meeting and not a webinar and thus the session is not visible in Marketo. Or the date has been set in the past.

michellechopin
Level 5

That's also really good to know @Matjaž_Jaušove2 - especially with Webex having such a variety of products now!

Checking the screenshot that my Webex admin shared, all three webinars (we have dry runs and the live event) are all scheduled for the future (January 2024) and they're listed as webinars by the looks of the UI:

michellechopin_0-1701210731394.png

I'll keep your notes in mind as we continue to troubleshoot with Webex though.

I appreciate your help and input 😀

Michelle