SOLVED

Marketo Email Open Rate

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo Email Open Rate

I have a question regarding what goes into Marketo's email open rate. 

Is the open rate based on someone clicking "display images" in the email? Or is the open rate also based on someone opening the email and NOT clicking "display images" in the email?

I am thinking that if they dont do that then Marketo doesnt know they opened it. 

If someone knows either way, it would be great information to have!

Thanks in advance!

Andrea

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marketo Email Open Rate

Yep, Ari is correct. Just to clarify your initial question Andrea: 

Is the open rate based on someone clicking "display images" in the email?
I am thinking that if they dont do that then Marketo doesnt know they opened it. 

Correct! And in most email clients, images are disabled by default, so you shouldn't put too much emphasis on open rates for this reason. Click and open-to-click vs your industry/historic average are generally much better indicators.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ari_Echt1
Level 5

I am pretty certain that Marketo, like all email programs, is only able to track an open if images are displayed. 

So if you send it to 100 people, and 20 people actually open it, but only 10 have images turned on, your open rate would show as 10%. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, Ari is correct. Just to clarify your initial question Andrea: 

Is the open rate based on someone clicking "display images" in the email?

Correct! And in most email clients, images are disabled by default, so you shouldn't put too much emphasis on open rates for this reason. Click and open-to-click vs your industry/historic average are generally much better indicators.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Ari & Adam for the helpful information!