Re: Marketo - Data Formatting

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo - Data Formatting

Hello,

We have Marketo synced with SalesForce. Is there a way when lead completes a Marketo form but does so with all lowercase letters, can Marketo fix that? For instance, "david" and I would like Marketo to automatically correct it to "David." The reason for this is because we use the first name token in our emails and I do not want a client receiving an email with their name not properly formatted.

Any insight will be most appreciated.

Thank you,

~ Dana

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

There are numerous discussions and pointers on this -- search for "uppercase" and you'll find some.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Justin_Gray1
Level 4

Dana,

This type of data cleanup is called data sanitation and there are some vendors that plug into Marketo but more often Salesforce.com. They charge a lot and none are very good. A good web dev shoudl be able to help you out. Here's a short primer on methods they would use. http://www.willmaster.com/library/manage-forms/name_capitalization.php  To answer your question, no. Marketo does not provide this. Some sanitation and standardization can be performed using MKTO although it is used more for taking incomplete or strangely formatted job titles and bucketing them into a company standard using Marketo flows (if XXXXX then change to XXXXXY) but it's a dangerous proposition as you're modifying user data. A good CRM admin can also run some routines once the data is already in the Dbase if the problem already exists.

SanfordWhiteman

Here's a short primer on methods they would use. http://www.willmaster.com/library/manage-forms/name_capitalization.php 

That script's pretty much junk as it has no awareness of nobiliary particles. Though if used only for First Name, of course, it's generally fine. There are better solutions right here on the forums, though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Justin!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic! Thank you, Rajesh. Appreciate the help!

SanfordWhiteman

Rajesh, I appreciate the great strides your product is taking!

Unfortunately, your demo name falls right into the trap of ignoring nobiliary and prepositional particles -- which are correctly rendered in lowercase and can be very important to preserve (especially in the case of hereditary nobility). It so happens that James Van Der Beek has an Americanized name, but his Dutch relatives are more likely the ​van ​ter Beeks.

​I would not automatically capitalize any surname with more than one word.   In international contexts (and who among us wants to offend international customers?) it can do more harm than good.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Sanford.

I appreciate your inputs. It is very much appreciated.

I will double check and confirm various names for hereditary nobility.

Thanks again.

Rajesh