SOLVED

Marketo Custom Object: Lead <- Parent <- Child relationship

Go to solution
Cristian_Nanan
Level 2

Marketo Custom Object: Lead <- Parent <- Child relationship

The Email Scripting documentation has the following hint:
"For Marketo custom objects, you can reference second level custom objects with Parent-Child relationship.  e.g. Lead <- Parent <- Child"

https://developers.marketo.com/email-scripting/

How do I go about actually creating such a custom object relationship?
If I link the Parent object to the Lead, I am unable to create a link between the Child object and the Parent (does not show up as a linkable object).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Marketo Custom Object: Lead <- Parent <- Child relationship

It does let me create a junction object between the leaf and Lead but that isn't the correct relationship.

I think the confusion is you’re trying to build a relationship that (not your fault) is impossible.

Despite the docs mentioning a Grandparent (Lead or Company) → Child (Master) → Grandchild (Detail) schema, this isn’t implemented.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman

Create leaf object (child object) first. Then create the branch/junction object (parent). (I don’t like the terms parent-child as they don’t represent all many-to-one models.)
Cristian_Nanan
Level 2

Hi @SanfordWhiteman 

If I create the leaf object first I can't link it to its parent.

It does let me create a junction object between the leaf and Lead but that isn't the correct relationship.

The end relationship I need is Lead <- Invoice <- Invoice Line Item. If I create the Invoice object and link it to the Lead, I can't link the Invoice Line Item object to the Invoice. If I create the Invoice object without linking it to the Lead, I can link the Invoice Line Item to the Invoice but can't add a new link field to the Invoice after publishing. If I create the Invoice Item First I can't link it to the Invoice.

Overall I'm not sure how to create the "Lead <- Parent <- Child" relationship that is mentioned in the documentation.

SanfordWhiteman

I think the confusion is you’re trying to build a relationship that (not your fault) is impossible.

Despite the docs mentioning a Grandparent (Lead or Company) → Child (Master) → Grandchild (Detail) schema, this isn’t implemented.

milanjain2208
Level 2

Hi,
Can we still not have a relationship like => Grandparent (Lead or Company) → Child (Master) → Grandchild (Detail) schema as of today ?

@SanfordWhiteman 

SanfordWhiteman

The restrictions have not changed.