Re: Marketo Calendar - Create custom entry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo Calendar - Create custom entry

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to understand more about the Marketo Calendar. I want to be able to create a new tentative entry in the calendar.

However from what I am finding on the product docs I need to open Program Focus whilst in an entry.....this means the new tentative entry is going to be linked to that existing/previous campaign... I don't want this I just want to be able to create new entries unrelated to what exists.

For instance once a month create tentative campaigns so I can see where eDMs are expected/may clash etc. Then once it comes time to finalise the campaign and send I can convert & update it.

Can anyone help?

Many Thanks,

Ella

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Frank_Breen2
Level 10

I think you want to create a New Custom entry then, see instructions here: Create Custom Entry Types - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Ella,

Indeed, you cannot create a Calendar entry in the global calendar. You only can do it in the Program Focus.

Now, why would you want event a tentative campaign exist only "in the air"? You can create a program to host these tentative campaigns. Anyhow, at some point the smart campaign will have to be set up within a program. It's really not a good practice to create a smart campaign outside a program. it's only possible for backwards compatibility with the old days before the Program object was created.

Also, from what you are writing, I have the sensation that there is confusion between a campaign and a program. A smart campaign in Marketo is just a workflow, while your Marketing campaign (the ones that in your Marketing plan) will mostly exist in Marketo as programs.

So what I would do in you case is one of the 2 approaches:

1. Create a program and within this program, create all you tentative smart campaigns. When these campaigns are validated, move them to the "real program"
  2. (My preferred) Create a Template program that contain the elements for your marketing campaign (emails, LPs, smart campaigns, ...). When you want to post one in the Marketing calendar; clone that program template and adjust the dates so that it shows in your calendar. The advantage is that if you decide to run it, you just have to validate the dates, and all your elements will be ready to use.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

Thank you your second point answers my question. I understand a smart campaign & a program think i just used the wrong terminology. I just wanted to be able to clone & create in calendar but obviously I need to create a program in marketing activities < set the date < then it will appear in the Calendar.

When i attended the training I was able to create entries from in the calendar mode to sit in the calendar that weren't program but were important - for instance recognising a public holiday/specific other activity...but now I can't seem to do this as I can only create programs?

Thanks,

Ella

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Ella,

I do not think this was feasible during training 🙂 You have to go through program focus.

See the doc here: Create Entries Directly in the Marketing Calendar - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

You can use a placeholder program for this if you want, that would also work.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

BtW Ella : Vote here:

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Here's a great video from Marketo showing you how they use the calendar and how to get the most out of it: Introducing Marketo's Marketing Calendar - YouTube.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Easiest solution that we've found for this as Greg touched on, is to just create a program that is used for scheduling things on the calendar. Most of what we use the calendar for is just to have a visual of what is going out, and when. Honestly, I feel like Marketo only got part of the way there when they created the calendar as it's so limited with licensing, scheduling, etc.