Re: Marketo and Google Adwords Integration

Ele_de_Vere
Level 2

Marketo and Google Adwords Integration

Hi fellow Marketo users,

I am looking to integrate our Adwords Account with Marketo, to enable us to track and attribute leads to our Adwords activity.

Has anyone had success with linking their Google Adwords to website pages (not Marketo pages) on their site, and successfully tracking these leads?

Would love to hear from you, how you set it up, and any other recommendations / insight you can offer.

Many thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ele,

Yes, we have successfully. The Marketo Docs section has a pretty good guide for how to do it, but it's parted across several posts. I've collected the posts you need to go through to get this up and running and it takes three basic steps:

1. Connect your AdWords account to Marketo in the Admin section. If you're using an MCC account, you can choose one or more AdWords accounts to send conversion data to
  2. Setup your conversions and match them to your steps in you revenue cycle model (do you have this setup?)
  3. Show the conversions in your AdWords interface

See how to here:

1. step: Add Google AdWords as a Launchpoint Service with a Manager Account - Marketo Docs - Product Docs
  2. step: Set Google AdWords Conversions in the Revenue Model with a Manager Account - Marketo Docs - Product ...
  3. step: Create custom columns - AdWords Help
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thomas,

I am also trying to set this up for my company.

I'm getting lost in some of the language and logic in the step 2 tutorial. Why do I want/need to map a step in my revenue cycle modeler to an AdWords conversion? I'm not entirely sure I understand the link between a revenue cycle modeler step and an AdWords conversion and how this actually plays out. And perhaps this is why I'm not understanding their pro-tip to add a new conversion.

It's been a while since I've used Google AdWords so I recognize that my understanding of these tutorials may be hampered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hoi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Hoi,

The step in the revenue cycle model is simply to define when a conversion is taking place.

Tell me: When do you want to track an offline conversion in AdWords? Then I might be able to put it better into perspective.

For a client, we build the following setup:

They provide a request for quotation service, where you get 3 offers from different vendors and can choose of one them. The process requires several steps to accomplish - uploading personal document etc. and can take from 30-90 days to complete.

We've build the Revenue Cycle Model to describe this journey, from the RFQ being created by a customer, through getting the 1st, 2nd and 3rd offer, to they react to them, move on with one of them and completes purchase.

There are some detours which are also relevant to track, such as being disqualified by the client before vendors can provide offers for them, not getting any offers or refusing all offers.

All these actions are created as conversions in AdWords and are synced via the RCM in Marketo to AdWords on a daily basis, so we can keep an eye on if AdWords campaigns are generating a lot of disqualified leads or a lot customers and not just leads etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thomas,

We actually have figured out the revenue model and stages and have these stages to AdWords conversions.

The only part that we are missing now is associating the conversions to the Google Click ID. So for example, we see that the conversion is entering AdWords but we don't see it associated with any specific keywords, ad groups, campaigns, etc. We even created a custom field on the lead called "Google Click ID" which pulls in the gclid url parameter but I just checked today and it still doesn't seem to be associating it with the unique click.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Hoi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Hoi,

As you probably know, Marketo saves the webpage visit URL in the activity log on all leads if the Munchkin script is implemented correctly on your website and this is where Marketo gets the gclid from. That's why you have to choose to use the first or the latest gclid in the launch point when setting up the connection between Marketo and AdWords.

Have you gone through the process of adding the custom column with the offline conversion in Google AdWords?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I have to have the Revenue Modeler in Marketo to be able to integrate Adwords and Marketo properly?

I have made the connection but do not have the revenue model in Marketo. So how do I integrate the adwords and Marketo?

Nina_Gonzalez1
Level 3

How do you get the utm values from Google Adwords. We have the integration and Revenue Modeler set-up.