Marketing Suspended

Geoff_Krajeski1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Marketing Suspended

I've searched the community, with not a lot of success (yet), although I'm busy unburying myself from all the emails and follow up from Summit 2016 last week.

Regarding Marketing Suspended, can someone enlighten me a bit? 

My team is asking specifically about a bunch of Canadian leads that are Marketing Suspended (have yet to dig in).

1. Is there a Marketing Suspended Reason field?
  2. Is there any other information that I can go off of as to why a lead would be suspended?
  3. Can someone recommend best practice as far as if/how one would reengage these leads? My though was an operational email (small batches) that would speak to the effect of verifying/validating the lead's information...
22 REPLIES 22
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Marketing Suspended

Hi Geoff,

1. There is an "Marketing suspended cause" field, but I can only see in my instance that it is empty most of the time
  2. Look for the "data value change" in the activity log and see the reason and source in the activity. You can also use "reason" and "source" as constraints in a filter on the "changed data value" filters.
  3. Marketing suspended is your decision, not the lead's decision. This means you can decide when you want to remove this flag. Most of the time, suspended are there because you have recycled the leads and wanted to set a quiet period or because you have rules that suspend them on soft bounces. But it should be better to set these suspensions so that the suspension end is planned, after a wait.

-Greg

Geoff_Krajeski1

Unfortunately the majority (if not all) of my 200K leads that are CA Marketing Suspended do not contain a reason.

I'm working to get a meeting together with all parties (SFDC, Oracle, MKTO team, etc) that may have a hand in the cookie jar to get to the background and bottom of this situation.

Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Hi Geoff,

Please note that Canada has a very strict anti-spam laws and you are not allowed to send unsolicited email to Canadian leads unless you have an existing business relationship or an explicit permission. It may be that somebody in your organization suspended marketing to anybody in Canada for whom they do not have an evidence of permission. Emailing those people, even with the pretext of verifying their contact details, can subject you to a significant fine.

If you do search on the community for CASL, you will find a lot of information about the subject.

Pavel

Geoff_Krajeski1

Thanks Pavel Plachky​.

I am VERY aware of the CASL laws as I helped my last company develop and enact their system for dealing with this scenario.

My main question was more on the reasons why a user may be placed on the Marketing Suspended list.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are new to your instance, it's possible that someone set up Marketing Suspended for Canadian contacts after the CASL law came into action because they hadn't opted in. I have a program for my auto responder that looks at country / inferred country. If they are from certain countries that need a double opt in, then they are placed in Marketing Suspended unless they double opt in via my autoresponder.

I'd make sure you have the legal right to email them before you move them from Marketing Suspended...

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Well, I was under the impression that the contrary to Opt-in is supposedly Opt-Out

I prefer that Marketing suspended remains to be used by Marketing users for their own needs. If you use it for opt-in / opt-out process, how will you distinguish these from the "true" Marketing suspended?

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, I use Marketing Suspended for 2 reasons right now and I'll be adding a 3rd reason shortly:

- Making those people who haven't double opted in unmarketable. I wouldn't want to mark them unsubscribed when they haven't opted out, they just haven't opted in yet.

- I offer a 60 day marketing suspension in my Email Subscription Center so that people can choose to pause marketing emails.

Programs for double opt in marketing suspended and 60 days suspension have different logic so that the two aren't confused / don't overlap.

Eventually I'll offer the 60 day marketing suspension for sales to request from SFDC.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Christina,

The key is to log somewhere the supension reason so that why at any point in time a lead is suspended. For instance, a lead can be suspended because he is not opt-in and at the sale time because he is engaged in a open opportunity. This means that when the opportunity closed, you need to remember not to remove the suspended status if the opt-in has not bee done...

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a custom field for 60 day marketing email suspension. Then I have a processing campaign that looks for a trigger from that field and when it's checked automatically checks the Marketing Suspended field. That way my leads don't see the actual suspended field in case I've already selected it for some other reason.

I'm curious about the marketing suspended reason - what if you suspend them because they're in canada with no opt in and then they suspend themselves? Wouldn't the reason be overwritting?