Re: Marekto API vs Munchkin

Renek
Level 1

Marekto API vs Munchkin

Hiya

What are the pros & cons with using a Marketo API to push data from a non marketo form sitting on a website vs munchkin code on a website form?

Understand the obvious re scoring etc, but does MKTO API have disadvantages I should be aware of?

eg, is the data bi-directional if updates to the data are made in MKTO?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can't use the Marketo (REST) API directly from a non-Marketo form in any case. It needs to be used from a back end app. And you'll be subject to what can be very dangerous API limits. The Marketo Forms JS API is highly recommended instead, as it has exponentially higher daily limits and functionality that is familiar to all Marketo users. 

As for Munchkin, the Munchkin library doesn't push data unless you use the deprecated Munchkin Associate Lead method, so not clear on the comparison you're trying to make.

Renek
Level 1

Silly me, I actually meant Marketo API (Rest) vs Marketo Forms 2. I was also reading info about Munchkin.

I've always used Marketo forms by dropping the form ID into the webpage so the form can be customised. I'm not too familiar with using Marketo APIs to push website form data into Marketo. So I'm trying to understand the pros & cons with using a Marketo API rather than the Form 2 embed code (or just dropping in the form ID) to push the data into Marketo while still maintaining & having full control over the form design & layout.

Also I'm guess using the API requires IT personnel support. Again previously using Forms 2, I worked only with the website admin, IT were not needed.

Again, thanks in advance.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

So I'm trying to understand the pros & cons with using a Marketo API rather than the Form 2 embed code (or just dropping in the form ID) to push the data into Marketo while still maintaining & having full control over the form design & layout.

It won't be possible to do anything using the REST API without robust help from a developer (not to mention a back-end server) and with worse outcomes than if you use an actual form post.

In contrast, it's very possible to use a custom form and submit it using the Marketo Forms 2.0 JS API, which is the best of both worlds. It's not a zero code experience but minimal on the JS side.

Renek
Level 1

I was hoping you would reply to my post. And provide me the answer I had a hunch I knew as well. Thank you!

"and with worse outcomes than if you use an actual form post."

What worse outcomes are you referring to?

I'd like to build a business case & encourage moving away from the API.

I've just joined the business & was surprised at how much technical involvement there is to test a form submission.

Finally, just making sure we're on the same page, when you refer to "Marketo Forms 2.0 JS API", that is embedding the MKTO form code into the page (or even just referencing the MKTO form ID in the page) so the data goes directly into a default program in MKTO?