Re: Managing Test Persons

cblack
Level 2

Managing Test Persons

We will be increasing our website form testing and I do not want this full volume to sync from Marketo to SFDC. What are best practices for managing these test people and stopping their sync to SFDC?

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Add a Boolean field 'isTestContact' as hidden field on your forms during the testing period. Use that field to decide whether someone syncs.
cblack
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion. Whether I do it this way or by email domain, my question is more around the next step. Do I have to write a filter on every smartcampaign with a sync step to say "email domain is not xyz"? Or is there a universal way I can block them from syncing back to SFDC?

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Your question could hint at an issue: Do you have many Smart Campaigns that insert people into SFDC? We have exactly one.

cblack
Level 2

Oh yes, we have many. Primarily to make sure the data gets into SFDC quickly but I think I see how that could be reduced. But regardless of those forced syncs, doesn't Marketo sync any changes back to SFDC every x minutes (I've heard 5, I've heard 15 but makes no difference). https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/crm-sync/understanding-the-salesf... so how do you stop the tests from syncing then?

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Well, you can stop already created Salesforce records from syncing, if you have setup a filter field for that. Such a field would need to be created in Salesforce and can only be controlled from Salesforce.

But I guess what you want to do in the first place is prevent records from being inserted into Salesforce. And that insertion process should better not be all over the place, but ideally only in one "Sync to Salesforce" campaign.

Michael_Florin
Level 10

We control this based on email address domains. Some testing domains are being prevented from syncing, while some sync but aren't assigned. Depending on test use case, teams use one or the other.

For that work it's necessary that everybody in your org follows the correct procedures, i.e. respects test email address naming conventions.