Mailto Link issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mailto Link issue

Hi,

Iam trying to include a mailto link an email and also using the proper code (<a href="mailto:example@example.com" target="_blank">example</a> however when I send a sample mail it is not working in the email client. I also checked the souce code and it seems the marketo is automatically converting it into an hyperlink.

Any suggestions Please?
Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Mailto Link issue

you need to use the mktNoTrack class to prevent the system from generating a tracked link here.

Also, try a live test - just send a real email to just you. See if you get different results.
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Hi Sarin,

Please refer this link for the above mentioned Issue: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KyqC

Let me know if it completes your need.
Joe_Reitz
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I've always had good luck using "mailto:email@domain.com?subject=test" as a link directly from the WYSIWYG editor.

Like this test.

What's the email client?
If it doesn't look cool, you're probably doing it wrong.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sarin-

Your code should work. I suggest deleting the email and starting over. Keep in mind Marketo will pop open a browser window to launch the email so try it with your default browser open.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Guys!
It worked using notrack class!
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Whether you apply the mktNoTrack class or not, the resulting compose email flow should be launched. So that has no impact on whether that happens successfully. Applying mktNoTrack just removes a layer of indirection through Marketo's tracking server. Either way, it will result in the original link being invoked. Were you typing something incorrectly? I just tested it with multiple email clients and it works for me even with tracking enabled.
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

To all that aren't using mktNoTrack realize that if the lead doesn't have a configured app associated with mailto: links, while the mailto: will still be attempted after bouncing off the tracking server, that doesn't mean it results in a usable Compose Message window.  On some computers it just results in an error ("Could not find default email app") or opens the setup window of Outlook Express, etc.  It won't silently fail, but it can fail hard!  mktNoTrack is your friend here.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

if the link isn't tracked, how does that solve the problem of the user not having a client setup to handle mailto: protocol?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

When a web-based MUA can recognize the link as using the mailto: scheme, it can open its own New Message window.  As long as it looks like an http: link there's no way that'll ever happen.  It's still not 100%, but greatly increases the coverage.  (If you use an app that isn't registered as the mailto: handler and doesn't know to treat itself as the mailto: handler, you're still out of luck.)