SOLVED

linking from an email to page 2 in a pdf not working on mobile devices

Go to solution
Eileen_Freund
Level 1

linking from an email to page 2 in a pdf not working on mobile devices

I have a multi-page pdf which I am linking to from my marketo email. The pdf is stored in marketo. I have added #page=2 following .pdf of the url in the html code for the link. This works great on laptops but not on mobile devices. On both an iPhone or a Samsung, instead of landing on page 2 of the pdf (as I do on a laptop) I land on page 1 -- as if #page=2 was not in the link. Does anyone know a way to make this work on mobile devices?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: linking from an email to page 2 in a pdf not working on mobile devices

The URL hash method isn't supported everywhere. It depends on the PDF reader caring about the URL. There are now tens of different readers in common use, since the official Adobe plugin is no longer necessary, and support for the hash is not part of the PDF standard.

(Also just FYI, on Android it's not about the device manufacturer or OS version but about the browser type + version. Chrome on Android and Firefox on Android can use different readers.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

The URL hash method isn't supported everywhere. It depends on the PDF reader caring about the URL. There are now tens of different readers in common use, since the official Adobe plugin is no longer necessary, and support for the hash is not part of the PDF standard.

(Also just FYI, on Android it's not about the device manufacturer or OS version but about the browser type + version. Chrome on Android and Firefox on Android can use different readers.)

Eileen_Freund
Level 1

Thanks for your explanation. Are you saying that it's just something we live with or is there a different way for me to code to go to a subsequent page that works universally?

SanfordWhiteman

It's something you live with because it's up to the PDF reader to decide to support it. There's no universally supported method.

Eileen_Freund
Level 1

Thank you.