Re: limit contacts per company

Anonymous
Not applicable

limit contacts per company

Hi I was wondering if there is any way that we can limit the number of contacts per company lets say for example, there is a company XYZ in my database which has 50 contacts, but i would like to limit this to only 10 contacts to avoid spaming or getting blacklisted. 
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

There are some threads on this already.

You will have to pull their email addresses and use the email address filter to include or exclude a portion of those per send. Or push them into separate lists.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Josh, is there a way i can do this in a smart list. I read similar articles on this topic and most of the suggestions are to upload the list in Marketo which means it is going to be a static list. I am just trying to avoid any manual intervention
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Srikanth one hacky method to do this would be via a webhook.  Run new leads through a 'hook that returns a numeric counter for the "index" of a lead within its company (based of course on a database on the webserver running the webhook).

For example, srikanth@example.com becomes 1, josh@example.com 2. Then in your smart list you could check Lead_Number_Within_Company <= 10.

Note when a lead opts out you'd need to renumber the other leads (run them thru the flow again). None of this would be pretty.

But there are some flaws in this simple idea anyway.  One is that 10 leads in 50-person company may be too much but 10 out of 1000 isn't enough.  Another is the the first 10 leads added to your system have no inherent significance.  If you keep only nurturing those same 10 you're missing out.  Conversely, if you always got a random 10, you'd be missing out on the value of repeated contact with the same lead. So you really need to apply some more intelligence.
Brigid_Greenwa2
Level 4

There is another way to potentially do this - in your smart campaign, identify that company is "ABC Company" and then do Random Sample equals a specific %.  Depending on how well you know your data, you could set a % threshold based on the top # of ppl tied to an account - or you could build a multi-step execution that would take into account whether or not you were part of the previous smart campaign execution and run secondary etc runs to "sample" a smaller amount of ppl per account - as well as stagger the execution to multiple contacts within a single account so that their servers don't pick it up as too many messages inbound from the same sender on a given day.