SOLVED

Limit/Cap Emails to People at Same Account?

Go to solution
Paul_Su2
Level 3

Limit/Cap Emails to People at Same Account?

If I have a list of 1500 people I want to invite to a webinar that spans in varying number of people per account (i.e. could be anything from 1 person at X Account but 30 people at Y Account) over say 300 Accounts is there a good way to throttle the sends to only send to say max number of 5 people at a specific company within one email send? 

So if Y Account above 5 people get the invite email today but we want to cap that and then send to another 5 people at Y Company at a separate set time say tomorrow.

Is there a scalable way to do something like this? I talked to support and there is no native way - we ended up using the "Random Sample" solution to split it randomly into multiple static lists and sent separately each list at different times but this seems like a clunky (pretty manual) annoying solution but also doesn't definitely solve for the cap as there (albeit small) is a chance more then 5 people at Y company could end up in the same random sample. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Limit/Cap Emails to People at Same Account?

Though sometimes Support fails to think outside the box, in this case they’re right — there’s no way to hack it together using native functionality.

You need at least an assist from a webhook to a sort of Poor-Man’s-ABM like you’re describing.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

Though sometimes Support fails to think outside the box, in this case they’re right — there’s no way to hack it together using native functionality.

You need at least an assist from a webhook to a sort of Poor-Man’s-ABM like you’re describing.

Paul_Su2
Level 3

Can you elaborate a little more on what you mean here @SanfordWhiteman ?

SanfordWhiteman

Can you elaborate a little more on what you mean here @SanfordWhiteman ?

As your investigation has shown, Marketo alone can’t take into account the domain when distributing people across buckets (nor can it really do fixed-size buckets as you need to estimate using %ages).

A webhook-compatible service, on the other hand, can sort people more intelligently, guaranteeing that no more than N people could be in a given bucket who match a set of filters (like domain but also any others) and using real fixed-size buckets of 100, etc.

Kaitlyn_Simko
Level 4

If you download your list you may be able to do it in excel.  Download file and then order the list by company. Then on a new column (ex. B), on the first cell, put a 1. Below that, write the formula =(if A2=A1, B1+1,1). Let's assume the company name is in column A.