Lesson Learned: you can recognize UTM parameters through field changes!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lesson Learned: you can recognize UTM parameters through field changes!

We have a lot of forms that are not hosted by Marketo. We have recently started to track certain conversions with utm parameters, and not all of our forms have those fields hidden to capture the new values.

Instead of asking our marketing eng team to update all of our forms, I discovered that you can recognize your utm parameters through a field change!

Look for a field value that will change on that form, then add the constraint "Reason" and add your utm campaign:

pastedImage_0.png

Another way to track conversions!

3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Nyberg2
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Re: Lesson Learned: you can recognize UTM parameters through field changes!

Hey Allison,

My current understanding is that UTM parameters will only capture for a lead record when they hit submit on the form, and only if the form has hidden fields grabbing the UTM's from the URL parameters. How does the data value change reason pull in the UTM campaign? Maybe I am missing something here...

Sincerely,

Keith Nyberg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Well, UTM parameters from the current URL will also be implicitly captured because the URL of the web page that hosts the form is also posted to Marketo (via the _mktoReferrer hidden field).

As you say, UTM parameters from the document.cookie or document.referrer won't be accessible unless you have the hidden fields.

I think Allison might be dealing with a situation where some field names only appear on certain forms, which means that the Data Value Changes trigger is more like a Field Existed on Form trigger.

Keith_Nyberg2
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

That makes sense. Thanks Sanford!