Leads sync to SFDC without Email address

Yun_Bai1
Level 4

Leads sync to SFDC without Email address

Hi everyone, 

We ran into an issue that bot filled out a form, records were able sync to SFDC, even without email address. We do have SFDC validation rule set up to prevent leads sync to SFDC without required fields, email is one of them. I am wondering how come this happened? Is that because Javascript disabled on their browser? 

The other thing is, we have a smart campaign to capture those junk records, delete them from both SFDC and Marketo. However, we ran into an error "failed to delete sfdc lead: filtered in SFDC". We got the idea is that the sync has a filter prevents any record without an email address from syncing. So if the deletion got failed without an email address, why records able sync to SFDC at the beginning? 

Thank you in advance,

Becky

5 REPLIES 5
Yun_Bai1
Level 4

Re: Leads sync to SFDC without Email address

Grégoire Michel‌, I did research on community and found your response from this Error synching to SFDC - "the record is filtered in sfdc" . However, I wasn't able to find field similar to "sync with Marketo" either on Marketo or SFDC. I assume this maybe a custom field? 

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

I am wondering how come this happened? Is that because Javascript disabled on their browser? 

Possibly.  It could also be from list uploads into Marketo or API calls; they do not require an email address for a record to be created.

However, we ran into an error "failed to delete sfdc lead: filtered in SFDC". We got the idea is that the sync has a filter prevents any record without an email address from syncing.

That depends on how your company requested the sync filter to be set up.  It may not reference the email field at all.  You'll have to check with Marketo Support on what the logic is currently.

Yun_Bai1
Level 4

Thank you, Steven! Interesting thing is Marketo Support mentioned "The sync currently has a filter which prevents any record without an email address from syncing, this applies also to when attempting to delete records from SFDC.".  And they checked that our sync filter is set to only allow records to sync to SFDC if they have an email address. In this case, would you think of any other reasons why without email address, even with restriction on both Marketo and SFDC, leads still synced to SFDC? Thank you!

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

The filter only blocks records from syncing from Salesforce.  Records can still sync to Salesforce; you would need to add logic to your campaigns that push Marketo leads to Salesforce to exclude records with no email address.

Yun_Bai1
Level 4

Thank you, Steven! Think I get it now. The "sync filter" is preventing sync from SFDC to Marketo when there is certain filter in place. So in our case, without email address, data won't able sync from SFDC to Marketo. Am I getting it right? But for sync from Marketo to SFDC, records will sync to SFDC, even we have SFDC validation rules in place. So the way to prevent it is to add logic in the campaign steps.