SOLVED

Leads in Salesforce are not marked as coming from Marketo

Go to solution
camillebrooks19
Level 2

Leads in Salesforce are not marked as coming from Marketo

We have Salesforce synced with Marketo Engage. In Salesforce, the leads that come from Marketo are going into the system as blank. This is only happening on to the Marketo leads, so I assume there is something I need to fix on the Marketo admin side. Any advice as to how I can have proper lead attribution between the two systems?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Leads in Salesforce are not marked as coming from Marketo

Typically, the Lead Source is an SFDC custom field mapped with the Marketo’s Person Source field. Values are defined at the SFDC’s end, and these then become acceptable values you can set when for a record in Marketo. If you wish to add more values, you'd have to them from SFDC. Additionally, if you want Marketo records to have a certain value for this field, you'd need to have a setup (mostly people use operational smart campaigns) so the field gets updated with the desired value for records before they sync over to SFDC. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Amanda_Reilly3
Level 3

Hi Camille! 

Is it the source that is blank? Typically in SFDC you would see that the Marketo API created the record, but any other field designations would have to be written to by Marketo and pushed over to SFDC, but I'm not sure which field it is that you're looking at. 

In Marketo, typically you would have a full program that indicates where a record originally was sourced from, based on actions taken or UTMs used when filling out a form. As for the out of the box information though, you would use the Original Source Type/Info fields in Marketo and write them to whatever field it is that you're using in sfdc. I found a community post around this from several years back here: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/product-discussions/original-source-type-and-registration-source-type/.... I also detailed using UTMs for lead source information in this answer here which may help if you're looking to put together a more comprehensive attribution approach: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/product-discussions/update-lead-source-most-recent-field-in-marketo/m-...

Hopefully this answers the issue you're experiencing! I'm happy to clarify anything else around this as well. 

Thanks,

Amanda

Amanda Reilly
Marketing Operations Consultant at Etumos
camillebrooks19
Level 2

It is the source that is blank. In Salesforce, all of our other lead sources are properly attributed. Website direct, Website referal, organic search, but those that come from Marketo are just blank. I'd like them to say it comes from Marketo but I don't know how to set that up.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 3.03.19 PM.png

Darshil_Shah1

Typically, the Lead Source is an SFDC custom field mapped with the Marketo’s Person Source field. Values are defined at the SFDC’s end, and these then become acceptable values you can set when for a record in Marketo. If you wish to add more values, you'd have to them from SFDC. Additionally, if you want Marketo records to have a certain value for this field, you'd need to have a setup (mostly people use operational smart campaigns) so the field gets updated with the desired value for records before they sync over to SFDC. 

Darshil_Shah1

Need more details here regarding what exactly you mean when you say "blank leads", are they missing the Person Source field (ideally, marketers use this field to determine the origin of the person, e.g., tradeshow, online ad, etc.), or any other field(s) you'd expected? For starters, if the sync user doesn't have permission to update a field in SFDC, then the Marketo data won't appear in SFDC when the person gets synced over. Additionally, by default all the Marketo records created in SFDC get assigned to the Sync User used for the integration. Additionally, by attribution here I think you mean a way to identify the records created in SFDC by Marketo in the case of multiple platforms creating records in your SFDC org. If you want to capture the Source of the records, you can create a SFDC custom field, define the values for each platform that is creating records in SFDC, sync it with Marketo and other platforms, and block the field updates for it (so it cannot be updated once written). Stamp this value for the records you sync over to SFDC (e.g., Marketo).  Ideally, you'd want to set this field type in each of the platform that is creating records in the SFDC. Happy to help with tailored advice if you provide more insights into what exactly you're looking for here.