SOLVED

Re: Lead Source workflow based on UTMs and no UTMs

Go to solution
Jroscoe
Level 2

Lead Source workflow based on UTMs and no UTMs

Hi - I am automating my lead source workflows based on program status changes and UTMs. 

For event registrations, I'd like the workflows to first populate the lead source based on the UTM source that drove the registration. If there is no UTM, I'd like to use the event channel to populate the lead source. 

How can this best be achieved, so the lead source from the UTM isn't overwritten when the program status change to registered runs (this will update lead source to the event type)?

Note - we have an original lead source field and current lead source field. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

@Jroscoe, do you have UTM data stored in any field? If you have the UTM source data in a field, then you can use it to write its data to the Person Source field if that field is non-empty, if it's empty, you can update the Person Source field with the program channel. You'd need to set up a condition in the Change Data Value (CDV) flow step for this. Also, you can always block field updates on your Original Lead Source field so it doesn't get overwritten.

How can this best be achieved, so the lead source from the UTM isn't overwritten when the program status change to registered runs (this will update lead source to the event type)?

You can exclude the people who have any of the UTM values in the Lead Source fields to flow through your campaign, but do you need a separate campaign to update Person Source to event type? FWIW, you can have a single campaign to process registration, and in the flow, you can have a CDV flow step that updates the Lead Source field to the UTM value If it's non-empty, else updates the channel name in the Default choice step.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1

@Jroscoe, do you have UTM data stored in any field? If you have the UTM source data in a field, then you can use it to write its data to the Person Source field if that field is non-empty, if it's empty, you can update the Person Source field with the program channel. You'd need to set up a condition in the Change Data Value (CDV) flow step for this. Also, you can always block field updates on your Original Lead Source field so it doesn't get overwritten.

You can exclude the people who have any of the UTM values in the Lead Source fields to flow through your campaign, but do you need a separate campaign to update Person Source to event type? FWIW, you can have a single campaign to process registration, and in the flow, you can have a CDV flow step that updates the Lead Source field to the UTM value If it's non-empty, else updates the channel name in the Default choice step.

Jroscoe
Level 2

Hi @Darshil_Shah1 I am using the UTM data to write the source value and blocking field updates to Original Source value when it is overwritten. 

My flows will populate current lead source based on UTMs and program status change. Since the event registrations will be driven by digital sources - I want to make sure the current lead source only uses the event status change trigger if there is no UTM value driving the registration. Then the current lead source will be the event instead of the source that drove the registration. 

This is what I did, created a flow that will use the event source if the UTM value is empty and the status changes to Registered. 

Thank you!

Darshil_Shah1

Cool! You're welcome, @Jroscoe!