SOLVED

Re: Lead Dedupe Rules and BULK REST API (Import) Lookup Field

Go to solution
Rick_Segura1
Level 2

Lead Dedupe Rules and BULK REST API (Import) Lookup Field

In the case where we have a setup with dedupe fields on the Lead object for the API and we're using the BULK API to import Leads, does the the lookupField parameter of the endpoint have any impact on the import process?

For example, let's say for the API that we set up email address and UserType (than can be "Primary" or "Non-Primary) as dedupe field on the Lead object. If we submit a csv file with headers on Email, UserType, and Title as such:

Email,UserType,Title

me@gmail.com,Primary,Boss

me@gmail.com,Non-Primary,Assistant

And if we select "email", or leave it as the default,  for the lookupField when we post the the Lead Bulk Import endpoint, will Marketo dedupe on the email address alone or will it recognize the API dedupe rules?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_Segura1
Level 2

Confirmed.  The use of the lookupField query parameter for the BULK lead import call overrides the Lead Dedupe field rules.

In our solution, we ended up creating a custom field to store a GUID generated outside of Marketo.  This "GUID" field is passed as the lookupField parameter value.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

In the case where we have a setup with dedupe fields on the Lead object for the API and we're using the BULK API to import Leads, does the...

Are you saying you have had support implement a compound dedupe key for upserts not using the API, for example standard form fills, and you're wondering if the compound key also applies to the Bulk Import API?

Rick_Segura1
Level 2

Hi, Sanford.

I'm saying that we did (or will) have support apply the compound dedupe key for upserts using the API.  I believe we can apply such rules (dedupe key) for list imports (UI), form fills and the API separately.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick_Segura1
Level 2

...and in such a case, how would the example file be processed if email address is selected as the lookupField in the BULK Import call?  Will it result in one or two records in the Lead database?

Basically, I'm trying to determine if making the compound dedupe key request to support is worth the effort if the the rule can be bypassed by the API through the use of the lookupField parameter.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

AFAIK manually supplying the lookupField means that field will be used regardless of a compound key being configured.

Rick_Segura1
Level 2

Ok, it looks like it's something we'll need to test out to confirm. 

It would be nice if the API would accommodate multiple lookupField values to support cases where we have a compound dedupe key.

Rick_Segura1
Level 2

Confirmed.  The use of the lookupField query parameter for the BULK lead import call overrides the Lead Dedupe field rules.

In our solution, we ended up creating a custom field to store a GUID generated outside of Marketo.  This "GUID" field is passed as the lookupField parameter value.