SOLVED

Landing Page Not Advancing on Form Submit

Go to solution
Erek_Bond
Level 2

Landing Page Not Advancing on Form Submit

Hi,

I'm having a really strange issue and I'm hoping somebody here can give me some ideas as to what the problem might be and how to fix it. Our landing pages are not always advancing people to the thank you landing page when the form is submitted. The landing page refreshes, but the URL has all the form fields appended to the end of it like below (I've removed the page URL and edited the values):

?FirstName=Erek&LastName=Bond&Email=erek.bond%40emaildomain.com&Phone=555-555-5555&Company=Company+Name&Country=United+States&State=UT&Attribution_User_ID__c=&Attribution_Source__c=direct&Attribution_Medium__c=none&Attribution_Keyword__c=not+provided&Attribution_Content__c=&Attribution_Campaign__c=&Attribution_Original_Source__c=direct&Attribution_Original_Medium__c=none&Attribution_Original_Keyword__c=not+provided&utm_source_original__c=&utm_medium_original__c=&utm_campaign_original__c=&utm_content_original__c=&uTMCategoryOriginal=&Call_to_Action__c=&Opt_In__c=&Double_Opt_In__c=&emailOptIn=yes&formid=0000&lpId=00000&subId=000&munchkinId=000-ABC-000&lpurl=%2F%2Fget.websitedomain.com%2FTpath%3Fcr%3D%7Bcreative%7D%26kw%3D%7Bkeyword%7D&followupLpId=00000&cr=&kw=&q=

It seems that the form does submit the information which is good, but the TYLP is pretty important to the user experience (especially when there is a downloadable asset on the TYLP). This doesn't happen all the time, and it only happens when somebody has submitted a form previously (which indicates it might be a cookie issue). Has anybody ever seen or heard of anything like this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Landing Page Not Advancing on Form Submit

Erek​ for the next time someone posts about this, I wrote up a longer explanation: Why do I see my form fields in the URL, instead of seeing the Thank You page?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
SanfordWhiteman

It's not a cookie issue. You almost certainly have custom JS which is throwing an error, forcing the form to revert to a standard HTML form. That's the known cause of this behavior (there are some past questions on the Nation, if you search).

Please don't remove the URLs from your posts if you want people to help you troubleshoot.

Erek_Bond
Level 2

Thanks for the response, Sanford. I always look for what you have to say in this forum.

I did a bit of searching, but I didn't quite know what to search for. Any tips?

About the URL, I wasn't quite sure if it was a good idea and I've seen people be chastised for posting URLs, but if you are willing to look, this is a page I've set up exclusively for testing this issue (the page content is from another program, but it is not connected to that program).

Making Customer Experience a Competitive Differentiator | NICE inContact

SanfordWhiteman

I've seen people be chastised for posting URLs

People perhaps get chastised for putting URLs to their own products in their signatures/responses in order to upsell. But not when legitimately asking for help, certainly!

SanfordWhiteman

Is there a browser + OS on which you can consistently reproduce this issue on the second (and subsequent) submits in the same session?

Need to narrow down what to look at, as you do have several form enhancements (of differing reliability: certainly that $('.mktoButtonWrap').click() routine is not going to be reliable, as it skirts both form readiness and the the API submit() event).

Erek_Bond
Level 2

I've tested it in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge on Windows 10. Other people have tested it on Safari on a Mac (not sure what OS version). It's pretty consistently reproduced on all of these.

Erek_Bond
Level 2

I think Chrome and Safari have been the most consistent, though.

SanfordWhiteman

So if you open that page right now in an Incognito window in Chrome 72, submit the form, and then go back to the LP and submit it again (without exiting Incognito mode) you see the behavior?

Erek_Bond
Level 2

Yes. I've done that exact thing several times this afternoon while troubleshooting. I think it is something added through Google Tag Manager because the page template wasn't updated anytime near when we started experiencing this error. I'm not sure how to narrow it down from there.

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, you have 2 GTM tags referencing MktoForms2 (one of which loads another external script that tries to modify the form). Remove those tags and try again.