Keeping the country list clean

Anonymous
Not applicable

Keeping the country list clean

Hello All,

I have picklists in my web forms and CRM.  However if you import a list whatever is listed in the spreadsheet country field is imported into the system.

How can I fix the country listing in Marketo such that any attempt to import an incorrect value into the country field is blocked?

Basically I want fixed values in the marketo side and any attempt to import a "bad" value into that field is rejected.

thanks

Mark

6 REPLIES 6
Julz_James
Level 10

Re: Keeping the country list clean

Hi,

You can block field updates in the Admin section and choose what you want to block. 

Here is the info: Block Updates to a Field - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Also you can chose if you want to block trusted or untrusted sources depending on where the list came from: Block Field Updates During List Import from Untrusted Sources - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Hope this helps 🙂

Juli

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

also keep the list of values you want and train people to use it.

you can also run a batch to update incorrect values to correct values.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Mark,

we always create a set of data management smart campaigns that do the cleansing on a regular basis. Could be triggered and/or batch. Typically, we create a series of smart list for various countries

• US Incorrect:
    • country is:
      • United states
      • US
      • USA
      • U.S.A
      • U.S.A.
  • UK Incorrect
    • Country is
      • Great Britain
      • England
      • GB
      • G.B.
      • G.B
  • Country X incorrect...

Then a last one :

• "Any incorrect country" (any of the follwing)
    • member of smart list in US Incorrect
    • member of smart list in UK Incorrect
    • member of smart list in Country C Incorrect

Then we set up a smart campaign (typically daily batch)

• Smart List
    • Member of smart list In Any incorrect country
  • Flow
    • a big change data value with multiple flows
      • If member of US Incorrect. Attribute is Country New value is United States of America
      • If member of UK Incorrect. Attribute is Country New value is United kingdom
      • If member os Country X incorrect Attribute is Country New value is X

-Greg

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

As Greg and Josh said, data management campaigns are going to be your solution here. I don't believe there is any way to block imports when the field value is not something that you want -- nor would I actually want to do this. I would want to ensure that the data gets in, but it gets corrected appropriately.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your inputs.  I have some data cleaning going on but still keep finding rogue entries in fields.

I'm getting there.

thanks again

Mark

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Mark,

Users will continuously import new / unexpected rogue values. If you set your data management campaigns as I explained above, you just have to edit the related country smart list and add these new values where they fit, and they will be cleansed on the following batch.

-Greg