Re: Issue with marketo forms on non-marketo landing pages

Jackie_Gragnol3
Level 2

Issue with marketo forms on non-marketo landing pages

My company does not use Marketo landing pages, and so I rely on the logic screenshotted below:

pastedImage_1.png

The problem is... even when the page is pushed live, I try to come in and activate the smart campaign, and it is treated as though the page doesn't exist yet. I continually check back to find when the page is recognized by Marketo, but it's a time drain to keep checking, and it's sporadic when it finally allows me to activate.

Has anyone else had this issue? And have you found a way around it? Or reason for why it occurs?

I find that this logic when using non-Marketo landing pages isn't very consistent, and it causes concern on my end that it will randomly stop working or that we will miss leads (or have a big cleanup) if people are filling out the form before I can get the campaign activated

Any help greatly appreciated!

pastedImage_0.png

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

For embedded forms, use a Referrer Contains constraint, not ​Web Page.

Jackie_Gragnol3
Level 2

Thank you for your reply, Sanford. Can you please elaborate?

The referrer typically is in reference to the channel (utms) bringing the person to the page, no? It wouldn't determine that someone filled out the form on a specific page of our website.

Can you please describe how you use this and how it functions?

SanfordWhiteman

In Marketo-speak, the Referrer constraint for an embedded form is the webpage hosting the form (modeled on the fact that the referrer of an IFRAMEd form is the URL of the main document that contains the IFRAME, not the previous page in the browser history, as with all subsidiary assets on a page).

Jackie_Gragnol3
Level 2

Thanks, Sanford. I'll give it a try with a separate test smart campaign.

An update: my campaign finally accepted the web page as the constraint - which has worked... its just that the lag in when Marketo recognizes a landing page pushed live is a problem. I'll see if in a future program your suggestion solves the problem and works better, sooner.

SanfordWhiteman

Referrer is always correct for embedded forms because it lets you process the entire URL (hostname + pathname + query string).

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

I find that this logic when using non-Marketo landing pages isn't very consistent

It's not random. Someone needs to visit the newly published webpage, after which munchkin sends the webpage details to Marketo and then it becomes available in the type ahead lookup