Re: Issue: Finding a trigger that will capture an external form fillout that uses Webservices API

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue: Finding a trigger that will capture an external form fillout that uses Webservices API

So our web developer just created a nifty content gate - it's a form that pops up in a modal window when someone tries to access a gated piece of content, and once filled out installs a cookie that will give the visitor unfettered access to any of our gated content from there on out without further modal pop-ups. He then pushes this through Marketo's Webservices API to create a lead. Everything's working fine and dandy, and you can actually see an example of this modal pop-up form here: The Best Contractor E-mail Marketing Guide | improveit360

Now we're trying to create a trigger that will capture form fillouts on this content gate and allow us to do things such as: score, add as member of program, etc.

At first I thought a simple "Lead was created" trigger with a "Lead Source" constraint would work... until I realized that wouldn't trigger if the email address used was already associated with a lead in the system, since it would be automatically merged rather than creating a new lead. And so as I walked down other paths I realized we had a conundrum: IS there actually a trigger I could use that could capture this action in all cases?

Would love some ideas/insight if anyone has any. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Issue: Finding a trigger that will capture an external form fillout that uses Webservices API

Could've done the same same thing with the Forms API -- and it wouldn't have had the DoS vulnerability of your solution.

But anyway... update a timestamp field whenever you "submit" the form and trigger on the change to the data value.