Re: Is there any way to extract the dynamic URL from Email campaign in Marketo?

Vidhi_Khare1
Level 2

Is there any way to extract the dynamic URL from Email campaign in Marketo?

Hi,

We are trying to extract the Dynamic URL in the email campaign. However, as of now, we are just previewing an email to see the dynamic url and saving it manually.

We are looking for a tool or api which will extract URLs including Dynamic URLs from email campaign without going through lot of steps.

Thanks,

13 REPLIES 13
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You cannot generate tracking server URLs offline.  (I don't know what you mean by "the" dynamic URL, also, since it's unique per lead-email combination.)

Please explain your use case in detail. This isn't something you should be contemplating in a normal workflow.

Vidhi_Khare1
Level 2

Hi Sanford.

Thanks for your inputs. Appreciate it.

Actually, here is the scenario.

We have email campaigns in Marketo and those email contains dynamic content. By saying that, I have to go through that email asset and preview it and then I am going at the Segment to fetch the urls by copying the link address. Since, there are a lot of email campaigns around 92, so I am looking for the way which is automated and would not involve so many manual steps.

As per my research, there are api to add the dynamic content. However, how can we fetch the dynamic content from the email campaign.

Hope this makes my situation clear.

Thanks,

SanfordWhiteman

Hope this makes my situation clear.

Not really! 

What are you trying to do with this content?  Are you trying to proof every email + segment combination, for every send?  How does the online Preview by Segmentation + Segment take more manual steps than if you had an offline HTML copy of ( 92 * {number of segments} ) emails?

Vidhi_Khare1
Level 2

Basically, we are not concerned if its send or not. We have a nurture program in which we have email assets.

So, we are trying to capture all the URLs which are call to action in those email asset.

For static content, we could do it in a simple way. Like by downloading the html and extracting all the urls from the html.

However, for the emails where there is a dynamic content which means different segments, we have to take manual steps. Click on email asset. Preview email and then going to segment one by one and then copied the URLs (CTAs) in that segment and pasted in excel sheet.

Since we have to go one by one, and Marketo is a little slow in showing up the page so , it is taking time to copy the urls from the segments of those email assets.

SanfordWhiteman

You should be using tokens for the URLs -- needing to do this kind of extraction is a sign you're doing something wrong.

Vidhi_Khare1
Level 2

Hi,

yup if i open the saved html then i can see the token for dynamic content but we are trying to know the urls.

Actually our project is getting refreshed so everyone is new in the team and we are trying to save the important urls or campaigns which is why we need the list of all the urls.(static or dynamic)

SanfordWhiteman

If you're using a {{my.token}} to store the URLs (which is a good idea) I don't believe you can get a snapshot of a rendered email that uses the "stamped" or "burned" value of these tokens for all your segments.

SanfordWhiteman

What you need to explain better is whether you simply want all the links, in a fashion that is disconnected from the email(s) that use the links, or if you want the links and their email(s) paired together.

Unfortunately, Jay's suggestion won't dereference {{token}}-ized links to the values actually sent. Don't get me wrong, using tokens for URLs was 100% the right thing to do -- but did not prepare you for this particular type of extract.

If you use Jay's method of the Clicks Link values together with an API call to fetch token values, you can get almost all of the way there. (Although you won't be getting the token values at the time the email was sent, and you won't get Velocity-generated values, just the VTL code.)

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

So, we are trying to capture all the URLs which are call to action in those email asset.

You can use a smart list or smart campaign and use the filter or trigger for link clicks with constraint link is. It will pre-populate with all links, including links from different segments. From there click on the + sign to select multiple values, use "Add all" under "Add new values", from the textarea you can cut/copy your links as you wish. While this is still checking one email at a time, it should be less tedious than your previewing emails method.

pastedImage_2.png